B+W Courses

Discussion in 'Talk About Anything Photography Related' started by David M, Aug 21, 2018.

1. David M

David M Well-Known Member Registered User

I was looking for some John Davies images and somehow came across this.
    The Hepworth Gallery in Wakefield is offering a two-day introduction to Black and White photography, in October this year.

https://hepworthwakefield.org/whats-on/masterclass-darkroom-photography/

Out of curiosity, I clicked a bit further.
    Here is a link to the tutor's website. It seems he offers several other workshops, including landscape, more darkroom work and pinhole, in the photogenic seaside town of Saltburn-by-the-Sea. He has a very nice De Vere enlarger.
    I remember Saltburn from when I lived in Skelton

https://www.keithmossphotography.co.uk/photography-workshops

2. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Active Member Registered User

Home Page:
    I've always liked John Davies work, I was showing JimW the books I have of his work yesterday, including the British Landscape. He's an exceptionally good printer.

When I did my MA I wrote an extended essay on his work so had to do a lot of research which gave quite an insight into the way he works and particularly his use of high vantage points.

Ian

3. David M

Yes, indeed. I did a workshop with him at Duckspool and I remember that he was astonishingly fastidious with processing temperatures. He was using a 6x7 camera with one wide-angle lens and made great use of hyperfocal distance.
    If anyone is interested, he is currently offering prints of trees, made to support a campaign agains the destruction of a park to build a housing estate.

http://www.johndavies.uk.com

http://www.logscic.org.uk/artprints.htm

4. JimW

JimW Member Registered User

"He's an exceptionally good printer." (Ian Grant.)
    That would be John Davies, not JimW that's the exceptionally good printer. Just thought I'd clear that up!:D

5. Ian-Barber

Ian-Barber Admin Staff Member Registered User

Home Page:
    It was these vantage points that intrigued me

6. David M

My original intention was to tell members about workshops in lovely North Yorkshire. Most so-called workshops seem to be merely tours of sure-fire tripod holes with a bit of demystification of DSLR menus thrown in.
    Mr Moss looks like an accomplished darkroom printer, from the images on his website, but I know nothing else about him. What he offers seems to be in accordance with the objectives of this forum. His personal style is a little more dramatic than John Davies. No harm in that.

7. Alan Clark

Alan Clark Member Registered User

I have to say that I find a lot of the photographs on his website slightly disconcerting, from a compositional point of view. And I don't like the high contrast and deep featureless blacks - though this may to some extent be my monitor.

I have driven past is gallery in Brotton several times but it has always been closed, so I've not seen any of his photographs in the flesh...

Alan

8. David M

Yes, he does seem to like his chunky blacks. Might be a monitor effect of course. I think we established elsewhere on the forum that we do lose something. Not necessarily a reflection on his teaching.
    I had wondered if some visitors to this forum did so looking for instruction.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2018