Close to the end

Discussion in 'Black And White' started by KenS, May 6, 2017.

1. KenS

KenS Active Member

retired REGISTEREDbilogical Pho
    OldForestFloor .jpg

On taking a ‘side-trip’ (as a means of enjoying my trip home from a ‘meeting’) I decided to take a short cut to the highway by driving down a logging trail at the edge of an old growth forest in Oregon. The scene to my left was one of ‘devastation’… almost bare acres with only a few young trees left standing amongst pile of cut and stripped branches, while to my right, massive conifers almost with spitting distance.
    After a last minute decision to stop at a truck ‘passing area’ in order to stretch my legs and finish the last of my coffee in my Thermos, my eye was ‘caught by the white flowers illuminated by the setting sun… I will swear I actually heard a quiet verbal invitation to come and make a photograph… an invitation joyfully accepted and I extracted my camera, tripod, Sekonic meter and the last loaded and unexposed film holder. The scene just ‘begged’ to be recorded from a low ‘height’ with the ‘almost-set’ sun providing the magnificent side-lighting.

I made just the one exposure using Kodak Plus-X behind my 240mm Sironar mounted on my Linhof monorail. Exposure was not recorded to paper, but… if my ageing memory serves me well enough it was 1/30 second at f.16. The film was developed as ‘normal’ in Pyrocat HD in BTZS tubes.

Ken

Last edited: May 7, 2017
  2. Keith Haithwaite

Keith Haithwaite Active Member

Although I quite like the picture I don't think the transition to 2D B&W has resulted in a picture that mirrors the one in your mind's eye Ken as the small blooms are somewhat overwhelmed by the darker tones and don't stand out as being the main subject in the shot. Just my thoughts ....

3. Acrid Dragon

Acrid Dragon Guest

I think your focus is not clear enough. What is your camera friend? And your photo could be much better with another illumination

4. KenS

KenS Active Member

retired REGISTEREDbilogical Pho
    Acrid...
    Unfortunately, my small Honda Civic did not have the space to carry my one meter square electronic soft-light, the power source, a chord long enough to reach the nearest power outlet... OR... the time to set up 'perfect/controllable-studio-type lighting'.... I do not have.. or ever make use of 'on-camera illumination' as 'main' or for fill-lighting.

There was some 'light air' movement and... while sun was but a few minutes away from 'going to bed', I had to work somewhat 'faster' to set everything up in my attempt to capture what I (at the time) might be an interesting image, using my much experienced Linhof monorail.

With some 60+ years under the darkcloth and some 30+ years as a Registered Biological Photographer (ie. Board Certification after a minimum time 'working' both behind the camera AND in the darkroom, passing the written exam, the portfolio and the inevitable oral 'defense'). Re-touching of either print (or negative) has NEVER been 'allowed'... or even considered anywhere near either an 'acceptable' or 'legal' procedure.

Ken

5. alexmuir

alexmuir Member

I like this, Ken. It has a gentle feel to it, yet a lot of contrast. Capturing movement is fine by me. It's seldom the case that plants in their natural habitat are completely still. It's hard to imagine a better light source for this type of subject than natural light.
    Alex.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

6. martin henson

martin henson Administrator Staff Member

Seeing a LF Image on screen does kill the intent and quality somewhat, zoom in and it shows the beautiful tones and separation that only a person with metering and developing skills can do, as a record shoot of the plants its excellent.