Dried rose, a portrait

Stephan

It was a comment I made here yesterday that resulted in this image. It was about focussing on a large format camera. The ground glass can be quite dim, certainly if you stop down. I own a Spanninga Thor 1100 lumen I use when I ride my MTB-bike in the dark. So I suggested a small and very strong flashlight.

After that, I wondered if I could use the Thor as a main studio light for small subjects. Believe me, 1100 lumen is a lot and if you look in the lamp you'll be blinded for a while.

So I set up this dried rose and mounted the small light in a small softbox I use on my SB-800 when I shoot with my Nikon.

I had to extend the bellow to 40 cm thus adding 2 stops. I own only a 210mm. I decided for f32 and measured 2". Adding 2 stops and taking into account the reciprocity failure for Fomapan 200 classic I ended up with 22".

I handheld the lamp, holding it as close as possible to the rose, holding it a little higher and tilted a little down. I moved it slightly around for a few seconds when the exposure was almost finished.

After a linear scan and some curves in Photoshop, I duotoned the image.

After some consideration, I could have done better. I measured the brightest spot with my Pentax Spotmeter but forget to move it to VII leaving the whites a little dull. Think I'm thinking I might reshoot this, just for the heck of it.

_R031903.jpg

Droge Roos_Duo.jpg

It’s fun to see a proper dutch filename [emoji846]

Personaly i had lowered the contrast a little bit.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met Tapatalk

Back