Final word?

Discussion in 'Talk About Developing Film' started by David M, Aug 12, 2018.

1. David M

David M Well-Known Member Registered User

2. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Active Member Registered User

Home Page:
    I remember this at the time, I felt it was quite an unreal document as it didn't match the practical experiences of a great many people. It also contradicts research done by Ilford in the mid to late 1950s.

Ian

3. Keith Haithwaite

Keith Haithwaite Active Member Registered User

Final Word? - not a snowball in hell's chance, however, if a copy of this is given to patients to read in pre-med prior to surgery the department should save a considerable amount of sedatives and anaesthetic gases. :D

4. David M

Ian,
    Do you have a reference to the Ilford research from the 1950s? We seem to have missed it during the previous thread. He doesn't mention the Death Wish.
    I'm not sure about "a great many people". Democracy isn't the way to solve this sort of problem. There may be another group who disagree; they may simply be quieter. I'm sure we all know the limitations of anecdotal evidence.

Keith,
    Yes indeed.

5. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Active Member Registered User

Home Page:
    The Ilford research was into the feasibility of a long life PQ version of ID-II/D76 and resulted in Autophen, published as a series of articles in the BJP. One article looked at exhaustion of each component and lead to Autophen having a very efficient topping up replenisher. One lab used Autophen continuously replenished for a few years without starting afresh according to Ilford.

The great many people is the opposite of the very few people who have had issues with developers having a short life span tht's who,provide their anecdotal evidence. The reality is that most of us will have never met anyone who's had issues of developers not exceeding the manufacturers stated life expectancy as long as stored adequately, or a manufacturing issue.

Ian

6. David M

I'm not casting doubt on what people have found, but "Liked the tonal range"; "I found it easy to print"; and "It's never happened to me" are all well and good, but not systematic. If someone doesn't like a developer, they will stop using it and try another, so we'd expect the responses to be biased. This was the first time I'd encountered such problems, albeit at second hand.
    This paper is the first attempt that I've seen to do some systematic research into the matter, which in my view is to be encouraged. My own reading of the paper suggests that it could have been more rigorous. Something similar might have shortened the debate on this forum (-but not until the necessary period had elapsed of course.)
    His conclusion is that the manufacturers' figures are conservative, which accords with your account and agrees with my own experience. I understand that your practice gives even better life, which may reflect your expertise.
    My interest is more than curiosity. I had though that the eczema I suffered from over-indulgence in Nitromors had gone, but recently I developed film without gloves and it returned. I had been wondering if Xtol might be a better choice. Naturally, the sudden death phenomenon was a worry.
    Perhaps allergic responses should be the subject of a fresh thread.