First shot from a Graflex Crown Graphic

Neil t3

Popular Poster
This was the first shot I took with a large format camera , in February last year .
I was still on a bit of a learning curve with it then , used to 35mm and medium format , 5x4 was something I'd never shot or processed .
Not just down to the new technique required but also learning the best way to expose the film .
Although the film is claimed to be ISO 200 ( Fomapan 200 ) , anything above ISO 125 would result in very thin negative.
Getting used to it now though .
Developed in FD10 .
Camera used was a Graflex Crown Graphic .

These are the Tall ships moored at Albert Dock in Liverpool .
We were a bit rushed when we were there but I was keen to take a shot on the camera and see how the film performed .

Tall Ships at Albert Dock by Neil Taylor, on Flickr

Maybe not the right contrast and tonal range but you have to start somewhere :D

I have and use a Crown Graphic but find the restricted range of movements is often very limiting. Mine's been mostly replaced by a Super Graphic, it lives at our apartment in Turkey and still occasionally gets used.

Ian

Thank Ian .
Being my first shot with this film and format I was just happy to pull something out of the developing tank that had something on !
It was a very thin negative , but encouraging regardless .

1st Frame
by Neil Taylor, on Flickr

It also showed me that the film is better exposed as ISO 125 rather than ISO 200 .

I'm planning on getting an Intrepid 5x4 this year , they are planning on doing a third version with a good few improvements over the current second version .
It looks like it should be a good option for me , partly because of it's movements , and improvements , but also price and weight .
I will be looking at other makes though , it's hard to resist the look of all that brass and hardwood , though I'm not sure my pictures would be improved !

I've shot a lot of Foma 100 and 200 in 120, I did some testing and shoot both at half their box speeds. I've heard of people shooting Fomapan 200 at 80EI but 100 has always be OK for me.

Ian

Hi Neil,

I sympathise with you keen-ness to shoot, what is the dev method you've used, I.e. The tank?

Robert

Hi Neil,

I sympathise with you keen-ness to shoot, what is the dev method you've used, I.e. The tank?

Robert

I've been using either a Jobo Developing Tank Reel, 2509N for the Fomapan film if I've only got six sheets to develop , or the Combiplan which also takes six sheets , but I have quite a few of the film holders ( shown above ) so I can do a few batches in one session without waiting for them to dry .
There also much easier to load with film too .

I've recently bought a Patterson Orbital developer for doing sheet film , 5x4 , 7x5 and 10x8 .
I'll also be developing the Rollei Infrared film in it as it's slightly smaller and thinner than Ilford or Fomapan film and like to come out of the holders .
The orbital developer should sort thst out .

FWIW, I shoot quite a bit of Fomapan 100 in both 5x4 and 10x8 and my tested film speed, with my cameras and light meter, worked out to EI80.

Thanks Alan , I'm not shure where Fomapan get's there box speeds from .
I like the film and I like the price though .
I've just got hold of three boxes of Fomapan 400 for less than the price of one box in 7x5 , I'll try the first shot at EI200 and see how it behaves .
It's short dated , or already passed , but it seems to keep well anyway .
I just need to cut some backing boards to hold the film in my FKD 13x18 plate holders .

Back