Stephan

Film "K" is converted from rolls of expired in 2000. These perforated rolls of 5 inches’ width are cut in 4x5 or 5x7 sheet film to be used in regular large format cameras. Despite its long expiration date, this 3-kilometer stock of aerial film has been stored in good condition and still gives very good results. A nostalgic film, as the emulsion has been discounted by Kodak a long time ago. As this original stock of film is perforated, the perforation could be slightly visible on two sides of the pictures.

• Base: blue Polyester ESTAR, 100 μm
  • Spectral sensitivity: max. 700 nm
  • Exposure: 100 ISO
  • Processing: 100 ISO, Tetenal Ultrafin, 20°C, 1+10, 8 min - 100 ISO, Rodinal, 20°C, 1+25, 6 min - 100 ISO, Kodak XTOL, 24°C, 1+1, 5 min.
This Washi "K" film is very thin compared to the 4x5 Fomapan. The latter feels like a business card.
It was hard to get in the 4x5 roll holder.

It was even harder to get it on the development spool. After trying for quite some time I finally got one on the spool. By then I was sweating like a pig and trying very hard not to let any drops fall on the film.
While trying to get the second sheet on the spool the other one fell out. This film really has no sturdiness. So there I was, in my bathroom/dark room, on hands and knees carefully touching the floor. Finally, I found it. By then I was fed up so I simply made sure the emulsion was facing to me and slid the film between the spool and the tank.

I wasn't sure if this was going to work and I was wondering if the film had gotten scratched while lying on the ground. As a matter of a fact, the second sheet also dropped on the floor.

Both came out fine. I'm not sure if I like this film but I was pleasantly surprised. Maybe it works better with a different subject.

Edited this a few times because at first, I did not get the image at the end of this post.

Sinar Norma with Sironar-N 210mm f5.6

bosaarschot_2605201801gamma2-2003-2.jpg

Last edited:
[QUOTE="
This Washi "K" film is very thin compared to the 4x5 Fomapan. The latter feels like a business card.
It was hard to get in the 4x5 roll holder.

It was even harder to get it on the development spool. After trying for quite some time I finally got one on the spool. By then I was sweating like a pig and trying very hard not to let any drops fall on the film.
While trying to get the second sheet on the spool the other one fell out. This film really has no sturdiness. So there I was, in my bathroom/dark room, on hands and knees carefully touching the floor. Finally, I found it. By then I was fed up so I simply made sure the emulsion was facing to me and slid the film between the spool and the tank.[/QUOTE]

Tip: Use a old used negative and place it on the back off it. This sandwich is sturdy enough. After development rince the negative to loose the anti halo layer.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

Thanks Ron for the tip. I have some Fomapan sheets around.

Back