Hello from Westhoughton

Discussion in 'Say Hello & Introduce Yourself' started by Pete Spencer, Aug 21, 2016.

1. Pete Spencer

Pete Spencer New Member

First of all, where is Westhoughton? Between Bolton and Wigan is the answer.

I have recently bought a Brand 4x5 view camera to add to my other large format cameras:

Toyo 45G
    Calumet CC-400

I use a variety of lenses and Fomapan 100 film, although I just got a couple of boxes of Arista lith film to mess about with.

Don't ask why I have three 5x4 cameras but I like them all for different reasons. The Toyo for the precise movements, the Calumet because of it's functional design and the Brand for it's industrial look and feel. Also the Brand was possibly made in the year I was born so I need to look after it.

I'm looking forward to participating in the forum. I usually follow the large format photography forum but I haven't ever made a contribution.

2. Ian-Barber

Ian-Barber Administrator Staff Member

Home Page:
    Hello Pete

Westhoughton... that takes me back, I used to work for a company called Caremark as a service engineer for white goods back in the 1990's.

Interested that you use Fomapan 100 film, I have just been reading up on this but there are mixed reactions especially if using the MOD54 processing unit as it has been reported that the emulsion can easily scratch.

Look forward to seeing your contributions and maybe some of your work.

Ian

3. Pete Spencer

Pete Spencer New Member

I use an original MOD54 and I haven't had any problems with scratching Fomapan, but I soon stopped trying to get six sheets at a time into the film holder blind in a Calumet film changing bag so that might be saving some damage. I just go for four sheets per batch which is a bit inefficient in terms of developer usage unfortunately. I also wear nitrile gloves when I'm handling the film, mainly because I very dry skin and it keeps the film clean. Also I don't have to worry too much if I touch the film although I try to avoid that if possible.

4. Pete Spencer

Pete Spencer New Member

Well, I just realised that I got its and it's mixed up. Not important in the big scheme of things, I suppose: http://www.bristol.ac.uk/arts/exercises/grammar/grammar_tutorial/page_13.htm. My apology might save me endless hours of embarrassment at work I suppose.

But, I should have mentioned that I have two MOD54 inserts so it follows I can reuse the 1 litre of developer a second time as it isn't exhausted, by any means, when processing just four film sheets.

The MOD54 inserts are one of the original design and one of the new design. Personnally, I don't feel there is much difference in usage.

5. KenS

KenS Active Member

Mi komputyr doant wurry bowt speling that much... sinse thairz not much difrinse wen itz ol red owt lowd.

Kenn

:cool:

Keith Haithwaite likes this.