Ilford Film 2018 survey

I thought there were some questions missing. I occasionally lecture and all my exhibition work is shot on film, and darkroom printed.

Ian

I had no problems with the survey. When they asked about future products, I said I'd like to see a 5x4 P/N material like Polaroid Type 55! :D Yeah...dream on!! The New55 folks couldn't really pull it off, but, maybe, a large company like Ilford could get a successful product to market. Not likely, but a man can dream, right? I'm sure I'm the only one who put that suggestion into the hopper!! :D

It was not a well thought-out survey, it looked like some of the questions were reliant on positive responses to earlier questions.....pity if you gave a negative response!

I suggested Pan-F in sheet sizes.....I can dream on too :)

I asked for an even number of sheets in a box. I really (yes, really) hate that single sheet. It's so easy to forget it or accidentally expose it to room light. How many single sided holders are in use anyway? Or five-up holders?
And zero reciprocity of course.

Buy boxes of 50 or 100? :D

Joking aside, it's a good point you make!

Mike

50 and 100 used to be even numbers, but things in mathematics may have changed since I last checked.
I'd like to see 26 instead of 25 but I'd settle for 24 with an adjustment in price, of course. We'd all welcome a free 26th sheet, I imagine.

If Ilford want to sell more film then they should support or even contribute to new film scanners, decent ones not the cheap crap we see these days, I am sure the like of Epson or Canon don’t make that much profit out of printers, there return is in ink .

Good idea. A dedicated LF scanner would be excellent. Economically, I suspect that it would be for 5x4 as this is by far the most popular format. (Popular? Hmmm...) A 10x8 scanner might well duplicate existing A4 scanners.
Where do you get the cheap crap? I thought mine was quite expensive.
And I accidentally (I don't know how) generated some 1.3 Gig scans on it.

Good idea. A dedicated LF scanner would be excellent. Economically, I suspect that it would be for 5x4 as this is by far the most popular format. (Popular? Hmmm...) A 10x8 scanner might well duplicate existing A4 scanners.

Well Epson serve us quite well with scanners with LF film capability, and have done for many years. I bought my V750 at the last Focus on Imaging exhibition (before it changed name and organiser), it was on offer half price at CameraWorld adjacent to the Epson stand, both companies working together :D Epson sent me there . . . . . . .

Actually you could all serve Ilford better by also making darkroom prints, they need the additional sales of Paper and associated chemistry to be profitable. Kodak's emulsion coating side only stays profitable because of the Motion picture industry and a few Directors who prefer and champion film, their B&W film sales are lower than Ilford's and have been for many years.

David, I regularly make 1gb+ scans from my 10x8 negatives, I'd go for higher if drum scanned, or colour :)

Ian

Half price, eh? Should have spent the train fare.
My 1.3G scan was from 5x4 B+W negative in 16-bit greyscale. I didn't ask for either. Presumably I clicked on something, somewhere... You know how VueScan menus can sometimes be a little idiosyncratic. Perhaps I should pay more attention.

I asked for an even number of sheets in a box. I really (yes, really) hate that single sheet. It's so easy to forget it or accidentally expose it to room light. How many single sided holders are in use anyway? Or five-up holders?
And zero reciprocity of course.

This could on the other hand backfire and we end up with 24 sheets for the same price :(

Well maybe not crappy but we do not have such a good choice, I am not taking about just 4x5 and would admit the Epsons do a decent job, however scan a medium format or worst still a 35mm on the flat bed then tell me your happy, to me it runs hand in hand, film and film scanners, not everyone has or wishes to work in the Wet Darkroom

Why not use 24 of the first box, then the last one in that box, and one from the second box and then were even, 12 full film holders, then buy another two boxes and start again :)

Well maybe not crappy but we do not have such a good choice, I am not taking about just 4x5 and would admit the Epsons do a decent job, however scan a medium format or worst still a 35mm on the flat bed then tell me your happy, to me it runs hand in hand, film and film scanners, not everyone has or wishes to work in the Wet Darkroom

Agreed. My Epson flatbed scanner is acceptable for work prints from 5x4 or 10x8, but if I'm looking to hang something on the wall I'll have it drum scanned. The only acceptable MF scans I've seen are from either the Hasselblad X1/X5 or a drum scan. For 35mm, I've been very happy with the results I get from my Minolta Scan Elite II film scanner.

Martin, I bought myself a Nikon 8000, (second hand of course as Nikon no longer makes them) for 120 and 35mm, although I can't remember when I last used 35mm. It seems to work well, although it now needs two dongles to connect to my iMac. It's a better than my Epson flatbed, I think, but perhaps not much. I'd rather have had the 9000, but people with whole warehouses full of hen's teeth dream of the Nikon 9000.

Shuffling between the last film in one box and the first film in the next is what I do. It's not onerous, of course, but every time, it seems ridiculous. Something else to go wrong in the dark...

I do agree, it would be a good idea if Ilford were to make a scanner. I wonder what form it would take and how much better it would have to be, at what price, to supersede Epson. It would be nice if somebody, anybody, could devise a really good film holder for scanning. The latest Epson holders are better but full of minor, irritating details.

David, why do you need dongles on your Coolscan 8000 and iMac?

My 8000 is plugged into my iMac 27" using the Firewire 400 cable.

Mike

Back