Manual of Close Up Photography - Lester Lefkowitz

Discussion in 'Talk About Anything Photography Related' started by Ian-Barber, Feb 12, 2017.

1. Ian-Barber

Ian-Barber Administrator Staff Member

Home Page:
    Has anyone got a copy of this book

2. Diz

Diz Member

I have recently picked a copy up. I think it was a £1 plus £6 P+P. Not had the time to read it through yet, but it looks quite comprehensive.
    Cheers
    Diz

3. Ian-Barber

Home Page:
    Thanks Diz. I keep looking on Amazon but not seen any for sale from the UK yet

4. Bill Martindale

Bill Martindale Member

A copy although it could be a bit battered on both Abebooks and Alibris from Dunfremaline. About £6.50 including postage. Plenty cheaper but from the US on Abebooks.

5. Stephen Batey

Stephen Batey Well-Known Member

None (retired)
    I just found three on amazon.co.uk which say that they are shipped from the UK - although I admit that that doesn't necessarily mean that they are in the UK at the moment.

6. Ian-Barber

Home Page:
    Thanks, I will order it from the USA as it is a lot cheaper than the UK source

7. KenS

KenS Active Member

retired REGISTEREDbilogical Pho
    Unfortunately too many us often are guilty of the somewhat casual 'misuse' of the word 'Macro-photography', which was actually the means by which information could (and probably still may be) recorded to film and be "out-puted" (if I may use that expression) in the form of an extremely small micro-dot 'negative' that could be... and was known to have been applied to paper in the form of a 'period' at the end of a sentence... as was used by 'spies' before and during the 1939 to '45 conflict in Europe.... and probably later. AFIK, it might even continue to this day.

I still 'cringe' when I hear and/or read of use of the words shoot, shooting and shot as it refers to the making an exposure to film. Many, many years ago, my mentor would provide me with the well-known "Gibbsian slap" on the back of my head if I used it out loud. (my skull is still some-what flattened on the rear). He always maintained that photographic negatives were either 'exposed' .... or... 'made'.

Sorry folks but the 'proper' word to describe those close-up images recorded to film at close to (or higher) than 1:1 magnification to film is Photo-macrography, which might allow for a more 'accurate' on-line search.

Ken

8. Stephen Batey

Stephen Batey Well-Known Member

None (retired)
    From the Focal Encyclopedia of Photography:

Entry: Macrophotography, opening sentences:

Technique of taking larger-than-life photographs with ordinary camera lenses. Macrophotography ends and photomicrography (with microscope lenses) begins, at about 10x diameters.

Enrty: Microphotography (in full)

Term used on the Continent for the technique of making large photographs of very small objects through the microscope. In Britain and the U.S.A. this technique is known as photomicrography, while the term microphotography is applied to the reverse method - i.e., of making microscopically small photographs of objects by optical reduction.

Entry: Microphotograph refers to the alleged use of microphotographs in espionage.