nice little video and the very best reason for a reflex viewer on the Chamonix 5x5

Discussion in 'Talk About Anything Photography Related' started by martin-f5, Sep 29, 2018.

1. martin-f5

martin-f5 Active Member Registered User

Home Page:
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2018
  2. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Active Member Registered User

Home Page:
    Strange that he doesn't use the revolving back which is standard on all MicroTechnical cameras, and he also has rear tilt and swing, and good front tilt if he drops the focus bed. He's using a MKVII which is regarded as the best of the MPP Microtechnicals.

Ian

3. JimW

JimW Member Registered User

What Ian said. I have an old MPP, and was wondering what limited him in his use of the camera. Having said that, one acquaintance in the camera shop didn't know about the drop front on his MPP, but info is now so easily available. Nice part of the world the photographer was in, and nice image. Thanks for posting the clip!

4. Ian Grant

Home Page:
    I have actually emailed Craig to ask why he isn't using his camera properly, I didn't want to post a very public comment on Youtube and I didn't put it quite that way in my email to him :D

A reply will be interesting .

Ian

5. David M

David M Well-Known Member Registered User

I wondered about the cross-arm. It goes against all my instincts for supporting a relatively heavy camera.
    I believe that front tilt is base tilt on this model, whereas swing is central. Turning the camera would give centre tilt which might be easier to use when focusing from the foetal position on a pile of sharp rocks. The MPP's rear tilt mechanism might have been easier, if some modest perspective distortion was acceptable
    Or, perhaps the focal length lies at an uncomfortable point for close-up work, where the rear rack isn't quite long enough to use the drop bed. He's using a flat lens board. I clutch at straws here.
    Despite our comments, it's good to see a photographer willing to describe his process in detail as he is making the image. Seeing it done makes it much more straightforward than written accounts, which can be intimidating for beginners. We must commend and thank him.

6. Ian Grant

Home Page:
    Craig did get back to me. He used the camera sideways to use the centralsing as tilt, I suggested taht he should add the estimated tilt as he sets up his camera before focussing. It's a very easy way of working and you can set the tilt remarkably accurately.

Ian