Nikon Nikkor M 200mm f/8

Discussion in 'Wanted' started by Jonathan Woods, Nov 17, 2018.

1. Jonathan Woods

Jonathan Woods Member Registered User

Hi all,

Looking for a Nikkor M 200mm f8, to replace my W 210mm 5.6, as I’m looking for lighter kit. Does anyone have one they wish to move on?

Many thanks!

2. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Active Member Registered User

Home Page:
    You might also look for a British made 203mm f7.7 Ektar preferably in a Compur shutter, small light and very sharp and great as well for up to 1:1. Eralier UK versions were in a Prontor SVS which has no preview lver and before that an Epsilon, US made ones were in a Wollensak shutter which is not Compur/Copal #0 compatible.

Other small sharp 210mm lenses are the Congo/Osaka 210mm f6.3 Commercial and the late version 210mm f6.1 Xenar. There's also the Multi Coated 210mm f6.8 Geronar which is a Cooke Triplet softer at wide apertures but very sharp stopped dow, useful as a portrait lens at widerv apertures.

These are all small light lenses, I have them all except the Xenar and use a late US version of the 203mm Ektar in a Compur #1 in my light weight kit this version is quite rare.

Ian

3. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Active Member Registered User

Home Page:
    It's worth checking out Chris Perez and Kerry Thalmans's LF lens tests. Kerry tested the 200mm f8 Nikon M ansd well as the 203mm f7.7 Ektar and sharpness was very similar at f22 but the Ektar was sharper at wider apertures. That's actually down to the lens design the Ektar is a Dialyte and the Nikon M a Tessar.

The 200mm f8 Nikon M is quite a rare lens here in the UK, the 300mm f9 Nikon M is only slightly more common - when I bought mine from Teamwork ? or maybe Robert White and despite being advertised by them it was actually not a stock item and was sent to them from Nikon in Japan once I placed my order (late 1980's).

Ian

4. Jonathan Woods

Jonathan Woods Member Registered User

Many thanks for the advice Ian, much appreciated :) I'll keep an eye out, but I'll leave the wanted thread open on the off chance :)