Nostell Priory Boat House

Keith Haithwaite

Popular Poster
To try and break my lack of mojo I went out yesterday with one DD and the camera and resolved not to come home until I had exposed both sheets of film. This photograph is of the boathouse 'lagoon' with entrance arch on the left and access to the lower lake through the bridge. This scene is much more picturesque in summer but unfortunately it is a magnet for fallen leaves and general visitor detritus which rather spoils the picture.

Boat_House-2-Toned.jpg

Shen Hao, Schneider 90mm f8,
Fomapan 100 @ ISO 50, 1/4sec @ f22,
Diafine 4+4min
Epson V800, Vuescan

It's a delightful scene and the bare branches contrast well with the solidity of the stonework.
I am wondering, just a little bit, about the foreground...

Thanks David and I agree, the foreground is a bit rubbish so I'll probably crop off about 50% to give a wider aspect ratio.

It does look like the kind of place that could be visited again and again, throughout the seasons, showing how it changes. Might make a nice little essay in the end.

View attachment 521
It does look like the kind of place that could be visited again and again, throughout the seasons, showing how it changes. Might make a nice little essay in the end.

As I only live fifteen minutes away I thought of this years ago David but being National Trust large areas of the estate are fully closed off in winter - all the best bits I might add :mad: leaving only the parkland open, in which this is, but even this may be closed if the weather is particularly bad with snow and ice - H&S and all that....!!

Here is a cropped version:
Boat_House-2-Toned-Crop.jpg

Nice to see inside the grounds. Coming from Crofton, I passed Nostell Priory on the bus every day going to school in Hemsworth, but I think I've only been inside the gates once or possibly twice and that in the 1960s.

I'm not sure that the heavy shadow on the left hand side doesn't upset the tonal balance.

1962 was the first time that I ventured inside Stephen, it's changed a lot since then though. Entrance to the parkland is free. though there is a parking charge for non-members, and it seems to have turned into the 'go to' place for dog walkers.

Back