Show Us Your Camera Bag

Ian-Barber

Admin
They say that women have far to many bags and even then are not satisfied with their last purchase.

Meet the Photographer :)

Show us your preferred bag you take with you when your out making photographs with your large format camera.

Such an old post now, Ian, and I'm disappointed not to find any answers here.
Anyone?
Contemplating some winter woodland walks now there is more light under the tree canopy. My little Sanderson quarter-plate is compact but there's still a lot to carry.

I use the Lowepro Trim Trekker for my 5x4 kit, but only secondhand now I think. The lower pull-out section takes three lenses on boards, while the main section easily takes a 5x4 wrapped in a dark cloth. I recently recommended this on another site, and the buyer subsequently posted that
I loaded up the lenses in the bottom part, darkcloth wrapped around the (Intrepid) 4x5 fits into half of the top section, leaving space for a number of film holders (I have 4 doubles, there's room for several more I estimate). Meter (Weston) goes around my neck on some string although I'm testing an app on my iphone which might be an alternative; loupe and shutter cable in the front pouch. So it looks like I'm sorted for this outfit.

Last edited:
For the 5x4 I use an old Lowe Pro, Pro Trekker. Plenty of room over to squeeze extras in. The 6x9 has a Nature Trekker AW 11. It can get past Ryanair boarding security as a carry on. I have a more modern Gitzo bag I use for the ETRSI and 35mm. Worse thing I paid for to carry anything in!
Cheers
Diz IMG_3549.jpgIMG_3548.jpg

I repurposed my wife's canvas Troop shoulder bag.

Looks like this one but more faded

I treated the canvas with Otter Wax Fabric Wax to increase its water resistance.

The strap is wide so it distributes the weight. When I am loading up the 35mm or medium format stuff I use a Tenba BYOB 10 insert.
With the 4x5 I don't use the insert and the holders go in an external pocket.. I take the tripod in its own bag.

If I was going any distance then I would look at using a backpack as the MPP is heavy and I could attach the tripod to the backpack. The Trim and Pro Trekkers looks like decent options. I currently just use a hiking backpack.

Main bag for 4x5 and 6x6 is a Deuter Freerider rucksack. This is designed for snowboarding but is excellent for me. I just change the insert depending which system I am using. It opens from the back rather than the front. Ready to go:

_DSF2147.jpg

4x5 setup:

_DSF2150.jpg

6x6 setup:

_DSF2151.jpg

My 'handbag' for 35mm:

_DSF2155.jpg

I also have a Kata 20 litre sling bag for my digital.

Until just a few days ago my only bag for the 5x4 was a Tamrac Expedition 8. Big, sturdy, and also from about 15 years ago when I was considerably fitter and stronger! It takes practically everything, my Shen Hao, 4 lenses (90, 160, 210 and 305), 6 DDS', a 6x12 roll film back, 120 film, light meter, loupe, Lee filters/holders/adaptors, and at a push a Polaroid 545 plus quickload film. And the usual sundries like the dark cloth, lens cloths, cable releases etc.

20221211_151620.jpg20221211_151844.jpg

However the camera has barely moved in the last couple of years as I've been unwell for a good while so all that fitness and strength has long since left the building, so lugging this monster to the end of the driveway was more than enough! I was looking for an alternate bag for my digital gear and ended up getting another Tamrac, this time an Evolution 9 (5789) for a mere £17 delivered. This gives me better and more organised storage for the digital stuff, but importantly it also allows a quick swap over to a basic 5x4 setup without faffing about and changing dividers etc, and it's just over 1kg lighter than the Expedituon 820221211_152120.jpg. I just take out the digital lenses, put in 2 of the LF lenses, the loupe, light meter and the 5x4 (which just fits in the top compartment and means there's a real chance I'll be able to take the 5x4 for a wander from my front door without needing an ambulance at some point. In theory, I've yet to put all this waffle into practise...

I have many bags that are selected depending on situtation. The two below are my most commonly used ones. Both are Tenba.

The one on the right is my 5x4 kit holding a Wisner Technical Field and 5 lenses ranging from a 72mm Schneider Super-Angulon XL to a 19" APO Artar.

The one on the left is my 3x2 kit. It's hard to see in this picture but that has 3x2 Speed Graphic I resurrected from the dead some years ago along with Schneider Super-Angulon 65mm f/8, a Kodak 101mm f/4.5 Ektar, and a Schneider 180mm f/5.5 Tele-Arton. I carry both sheet film and Graflex RH-8 backs for this camera.

P.S. Here is a fun ProTip (as the kids say). I strongly prefer to buy equipment used whenever possible. Used bags are to be found in abundance in my neck of the woods, but even the ones in mechanically fine shape tend to be rather dirty. I've found that one can remove the contents and all the dividers and wash a bag in either the dish- or clothing washer, running it through a full cycle. I then just hang it up to dry. I have several inexpensive ($25 USD) top-brand bags I've acquired this way.

Attachments

• IMG_20221211_110012124.jpg
    IMG_20221211_110012124.jpg
    163.7 KB · Views: 22
Main bag for 4x5 and 6x6 is a Deuter Freerider rucksack. This is designed for snowboarding but is excellent for me. I just change the insert depending which system I am using. It opens from the back rather than the front.
Your 'insert' approach may be where I end up. Thank you for the very clear photographs and explanation.

I have many bags that are selected depending on situtation. The two below are my most commonly used ones. Both are Tenba.
I am definately starting out second-hand with this. Other photographers 'outgrown' camera bags may be small enough for me to carry!
Dishwasher tip is excellent, thank you!

Until just a few days ago my only bag for the 5x4 was a Tamrac Expedition 8. Big, sturdy, and also from about 15 years ago when I was considerably fitter and stronger! It takes practically everything, my Shen Hao, 4 lenses (90, 160, 210 and 305), 6 DDS', a 6x12 roll film back, 120 film, light meter, loupe, Lee filters/holders/adaptors, and at a push a Polaroid 545 plus quickload film. And the usual sundries like the dark cloth, lens cloths, cable releases etc.

I was looking for an alternate bag for my digital gear and ended up getting another Tamrac, this time an Evolution 9 (5789) for a mere £17 delivered. This gives me better and more organised storage for the digital stuff, but importantly it also allows a quick swap over to a basic 5x4 setup without faffing about and changing dividers etc, and it's just over 1kg lighter than the Expedituon 8. I just take out the digital lenses, put in 2 of the LF lenses, the loupe, light meter and the 5x4 (which just fits in the top compartment and means there's a real chance I'll be able to take the 5x4 for a wander from my front door without needing an ambulance at some point. In theory, I've yet to put all this waffle into practise...

I repurposed my wife's canvas Troop shoulder bag.

If I was going any distance then I would look at using a backpack as the MPP is heavy and I could attach the tripod to the backpack. The Trim and Pro Trekkers looks like decent options. I currently just use a hiking backpack.
That troop bag definately has the looks! I musn't carry anything on one shoulder now, but a strap that goes right accross would be an option. Might also fit in my bike basket .

I use the Lowepro Trim Trekker for my 5x4 kit, but only secondhand now I think. The lower pull-out section takes three lenses on boards, while the main section easily takes a 5x4 wrapped in a dark cloth. I recently recommended this on another site, and the buyer subsequently posted that
That LowePro Trekker with the 'drawer' looks brilliant. Might take a while to find one, but might also be worth the wait!

However the camera has barely moved in the last couple of years as I've been unwell for a good while so all that fitness and strength has long since left the building, so lugging this monster to the end of the driveway was more than enough! I was looking for an alternate bag for my digital gear and ended up getting another Tamrac, this time an Evolution 9 (5789) for a mere £17 delivered. This gives me better and more organised storage for the digital stuff, but importantly it also allows a quick swap over to a basic 5x4 setup without faffing about and changing dividers etc, and it's just over 1kg lighter than the Expedituon 8. I just take out the digital lenses, put in 2 of the LF lenses, the loupe, light meter and the 5x4 (which just fits in the top compartment and means there's a real chance I'll be able to take the 5x4 for a wander from my front door without needing an ambulance at some point. In theory, I've yet to put all this waffle into practise...
Mistakenly buying something that works well, but is too large to carry comfortably/safely is a concern here too. Interesting that you have moved to a 2 compartment model now, rather then the wide open 'one zip to see it all' bags. Let me know how that goes?

For the 5x4 I use an old Lowe Pro, Pro Trekker. Plenty of room over to squeeze extras in. The 6x9 has a Nature Trekker AW 11. It can get past Ryanair boarding security as a carry on. I have a more modern Gitzo bag I use for the ETRSI and 35mm. Worse thing I paid for to carry anything in!
Cheers
Diz
'Don't buy' recommendations are also really helpful, so thank you for that too.
LowePro Trekker is clearly one to look out for.

Thank you all for this generous list of photographs, expanations and recommendations.
More time on Ebay and Gumtree in my future, leading to more time outside with cameras :) .

I am definately starting out second-hand with this. Other photographers 'outgrown' camera bags may be small enough for me to carry!
Dishwasher tip is excellent, thank you!

I should have mentioned that one does not want to use excessive amount of soap simply because it's hard to rinse out. I use a minimal amount and rewash if really needed. Also be aware that many dishwashers have a forced heating cycle to dry dishes fully when clean and this likely isn't great for plastic connectors and fittings on the bag. The other thing is that you want to be 100% sure that you've got a clean dishwasher with no food residues in the various traps.

For all these reasons, I typically resort to a clothes washer or - if the bag is quite small - a manual brushing in hot soapy water.

Drip drying typically takes overnight depending on local humidity.

I-Have-Too-Many-Bags-ly Yours,

That troop bag definately has the looks! I musn't carry anything on one shoulder now, but a strap that goes right accross would be an option. Might also fit in my bike basket .
The strap is comfy across the body though I did add a piece from an old sun sniper strap (the brand with the wire through the strap which I decided was not a good idea). You can see the added part in the picture. I also have my Peak Design camera holder on the strap too.

I also had fun applying the wax after washing the bag by hand. Hairdryer on low and the wax slowly melts and is absorbed. Haven't found any of it on my jackets/jeans when I use the bag so it is staying where it should and it definitely repels light rain; haven't tried it in heavy rain yet.

20221212_220304.jpg

MPP MkVII and 6 film holders with room to spare. I would typically put a layer of protection on the bottom of the bag like a jacket (or a dark cloth if I owned one :)).

20221212_221855.jpg

Last edited:
My6 Tenba back-pack.

1671625460892.png

1671625522779.png

Wist 45DX 150mm Sironar N, Lunasix (Profisix) F meter), Minolta Sopmeter Cokin P series filter holder & Green filter, 75mm Super Angulon, 90mm Grandagon N, 210mm Symmar S, 360mm Tele Xenar, Cable release, Really Useful Box 3 litres with a bakers doxen DDS film holders, Compass.

I'd always have the relevant OS maps, a Cokin glass polariser, pare batteries & cable releases, depending on where and what I'm shooting I may add or remove lenses, a 65mm SA, 120mm Angulon, or 240mm Nikkor SW.

1671628539714.png

This is what fit a regular small sports back-pack, and is my lightweight kit that I use in Turkey.Greece. Super Graphic with 135mm Caltar-S II (rebadged Symmar S), 90mm f6.8 Angulon, and 203mm f7,7 Ektar in Compur #1 shutter, this kit is often used hand held, where I can use a tripod it's typically a small Slick Sprint Pro.

1671629657928.png

It was over 40ºC when I made the image. In this heat you need to travel light.

Ian

My bag for 5x4 is a LowePro Pro Trekker. About the right size and very comfy to carry. It takes the Arca field camera, tripod head, film holders, Nikon spotmeter, loupe and darkcloth in the well padded main body. Sundries are kept in the small zipped pockets. Tripod carried on the outside in the holder.

Attachments

• IMG_0366.jpg
    IMG_0366.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0367.jpg
    IMG_0367.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 12
Back