'Shroom

Discussion in 'Still Life & Close Up' started by KenS, Jan 1, 2017.

1. KenS

KenS Active Member

On exiting after a couple of hours ‘meandering’ (again) around the edges of an old growth forest in Oregon, I stopped to enjoy the last half of my somewhat dried-out sandwich… and washing it down with the last vestiges of the coffee left in my vacuum flask.

As I was enjoying the near-absolute silence and ‘looking around’ I noticed this rather large Mushroom specimen among a nearby 'group' along with a few (but smaller) others poking out of the forest floor litter. Not being a mycologist, I was and still am unable to provide species identification. I intended making a close-up ‘lateral view' image, and to include a few more… as a 'group', but as I was gently and carefully clearing away some of the dried leaves and other forest debris in order to show a little more of the ‘stalks’, a small hidden curved branch caught the largest and 'flipped' it over.

My composition was now somewhat ‘spoiled’, so I picked it up, removed what was left of the ‘stalk’ and placed it downside-up on a ‘bed’ of fallen needles… set up the camera for a ‘vertical’ close-up of the gills on the underside.

Plus-X film behind a 240 mm. Rodenstock on the Linhof monorail, Just over 1:1 magnification in order to ‘fill the frame’. According to my Vade Mecum notes… I made 2 exposures. 1 @ 4 seconds and 1 @ 8 seconds, both at f.16. Film development was ‘normal’, in BTZS tubes with Pyrocat HD.

Ken

Attached Files:

2. KenS

KenS Active Member

'Shroom2.jpg
    Con-joined 'shrooms' found last week-end when the grocery bag was emptied for the contents therein were to be 'made ready' for a late evening snack. Meal preparation had to be 'delayed' somewhat until the 'twins' were recorded to film after the one remaining full 'stalk' was removed.. followed by the somewhat shortened 'stub' of the other. Kodak Plus-X behind the 240mm Sironar on my Linhof monorail. 'Shroom(s) were placed on black velvet over the small foot-stool on the back deck (on a somewhat 'dull' early evening). I did not take the time to make note of all the 'details' but I believe just over 2:1 magnification with an exposure time of around 4 seconds @ f11, with the camera a little less than vertical, using a small amount of rear 'tilt' for full focus. Film was developed 'normal + 10%' with Pyrocat HD in BTZS tubes.

Ken