Suggested Times For TMAX In XTOL Replenished Please

Discussion in 'Talk About Developing Film' started by Ian-Barber, Jul 19, 2018.

1. Ian-Barber

Ian-Barber Admin Staff Member Registered User

Home Page:
    I am looking for some suggested starting points for developing TMAX 100 and TMAX 400 (120 Roll) film in XTOL Replenished from people that have tried these combinations.

I shall be developing in a Paterson Tank with intermittent agitation.

2. David M

David M Well-Known Member Registered User

No volunteers so far.
    Kodak publish a very comprehensive table of development times, for different speed ratings and temperatures for both fresh and seasoned developer with both Kodak and other brand films. They even give CI figures. Kodak must have more experience than anyone else. They make both the film and the developer. Is there some reason why you don't trust them?

As far as I recall, the advice from both AA and FP is to begin with the manufacturer's box speed. I can't speak for AA, but FP was very proud of his rubber stamp, which he applied to letters asking for this sort of short cut, which he would return to the sender. The stamp said "TRY IT".

3. Ian-Barber

Home Page:
    I only have a couple of rolls of this film and don't really anticipate replacing it because I want to narrow my roll film down to just a couple and get more acquainted with them rather than chopping and changing. I will end up using the suggested times from the Data Sheets but if anyone had any first hand experience, it would have been nice to see if they coinside with the data sheets

4. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Active Member Registered User

Home Page:
    I used to process Tmax100 shot at 50EI, and Tmax 200, at 200EI for 8 mins @ 20ºC in Paterson & Jobo tanks, inversion agitation every minute in replenished Xtol.

I thought I'd already posted this, then found it unfinished, distracted by phone calls :D and taking dog for walk . . . .

Ian

5. Ian-Barber

Home Page:
    Thanks Ian, I will use your times, as I say it's unlikely I shall be buying any more Kodak Films. I want to use FP4 for lower speeds and haven't decided on a 400 speed one yet but it's most likely going to be HP5 unless anyone knows different

6. Ian Grant

Home Page:
    Well for LF Ilford only make HP5, it's a great film and amazing in Pyrocat HD I get superb results with it and it allows me to shoot hand-held with my Super Graphic or Crown Graphic. For MF I prefer Delta 400 because it gives me finer grain than HP5, but it's only slight improvement and where possible I prefer to use Delta 100.

I have to admit I really like the tonality of HP5 I only started using it for 5x4 about 11 years ago, prior to that I only used APX100 and Tmax100 for 5x4 - nothing faster, I've only bought a couple of rolls of FP4 35mm in the last 30 years and those were shot by another photographer although I processed and printed the images (they were images to illustrate a magazine article about some of my work). I cut my teeth on ex Government FP3 and HP3 and have shot a lot of FP4 in the past (all formats) until I switched to APX100. I have some boxes of 5x4 FP4 so look forward to some re-appraisal after three decades :D

Ian

7. David M

David M Well-Known Member Registered User

Thirty-year old FP4? That should be interesting.

8. Ian Grant

Home Page:
    No, the film isn't 30 years old, while it's just out of date by a year or two it was frozen before I was given it, it's 30+ years since FP4 was my film of choice :D

Ian