Trees 3

Discussion in 'Black And White' started by KenS, Nov 9, 2016.

1. KenS

KenS Active Member

retired REGISTEREDbilogical Pho
    Oldgrowth.jpg

September... At the edge of an old growth forest in Oregon.

Having almost used up my film for the day', this was my second-to-last of my 'rationed' exposures , and made as I was 'fighting my way' out and downhill towards my car. The 'oldlog.jpg' image I posted previously, was recorded on 'the other side' of the last loaded film holder about 20 minutes later on the 'way out'. I neglected to make a record of the exposure... but it was made on Plus-X with my 240mm Sironar on a Linhof monorail, and developed with Pyrocat HD in BTZS tubes.

Ken

2. KenS

KenS Active Member

RedRidings nightmare.jpg
    The edge of a dark re-growth forest was made just before sunset... late in the evening, while hiking back to my vehicle on an old logging trail in southern British Columbia . While I tend to not afford a title to majority of my images.... I have decided to so do for this image that I have now entitled as 'Little Red Riding-Hood's Nightmare", since it was so quiet.... so dark... and more than somewhat foreboding.

Exposed on Plus-X with Linhof monorail with150 mm Rodenstock. Film was developed in Pyrocat HD in BTZS tubes.

Ken

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
  3. KenS

KenS Active Member

Brightspot.jpg

The sun had just 'set' as I was making my way home from a trip around the back roads of SE British Columbia about a week or so after the first of last year's 'hard' frost... when I caught this contrasting 'bright' patch of bush out the corner of my eye. About 20 (or so) seconds to decide that there might' be a photograph to be made... I then had to 'back-up' about 100 yards (since there was no room to turn around) find a position to pull over enough to allow any vehicles to safely pass-by.... get the tripod up and 'loaded' with the ever-faithful Linhof and 240mm Sironar to record these brightly coloured leaves against the dark and dense (and somewhat foreboding 'background') of the conifers.

Incident light level was 'measured' with my trusted Seconic rather than my usual Pentax Spot- meter. Film exposed on (into ??) Ilford FP4, exposure was recorded as 4 seconds @ f22, development in BTZS tubes with Pyrocat HD.

Ken

Last edited: Jan 18, 2017
    Isabel and Andy Grant like this.
  4. KenS

KenS Active Member

OregonHilltop.jpg
    Seeking a higher vantage point in order to 'find my way' back to my car before the sun got too much lower in the sky after stumbling around an Oregon forest for about four hours, I came across this group of wind-swept trees on a somewhat clear hill-top that seemed to be 'somewhat in great need' of being recorded to a sheet of Kodak Plus-X behind my 240mm Sironar, for later development using Pyrocat HD in my BTZS tubes. This was the second of two exposures... the first was with a light yellow filter to darken the clear sky a little.. and this one without the filter in order to keep the sky 'lighter' and provide for a greater contrast range and little more of a 'silhouette' of the trees .... resulting in (to my eye, anyway, after 'proofing') a somewhat 'nicer' image.

Ken

Andy Grant likes this.
  5. Isabel

Isabel Active Member

Really, really like this...the eyes in the deep & dark...:eek:;)

6. KenS

KenS Active Member

Hilltop.jpg

I had walked around this hilltop seeking an improvement in the composition of this small group of hardy, windswept trees on a rocky Oregonian hilltop in the late evening sunlight. I considered to waiting for another ten to fifteen minutes (or so) but decided that discretion was the better part of valour... I did not need to go ‘a-hunting’ for my car in the dark. HP4 behind the 240mm Sironar. 1/30 second, 1/3 stop above f16. I thought about using a light yellow filter, but chose to have the clear blue sky recorded in a 'lighter' tone to provide more contrast to the silhouette of the trees 'against' the sky. Film developed as 'normal' in Pyrocat HD in BTZS tubes.

Ken

LEO and Keith Haithwaite like this.
  7. KenS

KenS Active Member

LastElm.jpg
    On going through my 'older' files, I came across this ~40+year old negative of the second to last of the Elm trees on 'the edge' of the boundary of the city in Ontario where I was living at the time.

Dutch Elm Disease had caused havoc to the elm trees that had been abundant throughout the city. All elm trees that had proved 'positive' (or even suspected of so being) were cut and burned. Since our residence was about an half mile inside the city limits.. and a 'just off the drawing-board' new school's planned recreation area bordered the edge of our property on which this tree 'stood'. While it had not yet shown any 'physical' symptoms of infection, it was deemed necessary to follow the cut and burn order. One of the crew members stated that 'our' tree was one of the LAST standing elm trees within city limits. Three days later.... it was 'gone'.

For posterity, this tree 'deserved' being recorded to Kodak Plus-X film behind the 240mm Sironar mounted in my Linhof Master Technika. Since this was 'in the days before' Pyrocat and BTZS tubes, development would have been D76 1:1, in half gallon tanks.

Ken

LEO and Keith Haithwaite like this.
  8. Keith Haithwaite

Keith Haithwaite Active Member

It is a terribe disease Ken and many of my favourite trees around where I live have now gone. With your narrative it becomes a very poignant image indeed.

9. KenS

KenS Active Member

I have 'used' Google Earth on-line to have a look at the avenue in Glasgow on which I grew up. That too had an elm in between almost every house path... with the exception of the occasional Rowan tree here and there. As of to-day, those trees are all gone.. and I cannot 'see' any Rowans. It looks like the 'space' they occupied have 'lost' due to a little widening of the roadway, while and the remaining space has been turned into parking pads for the family car. I can but guess that to-day's 'wee ones' have either to find 'climbable' trees elsewhere... find exercise without playing hide-and-seek... or cricket using the nearest lamp-post as the wicket...or 'headers' across the street until such times as the 'Bobby' arrived on his black bicycle... after an elderly 'someone' had complained about the noise... and had usent indoors to watch 'Muffin the Mule' on television. Dammit... they were OUR 'good old days'. :cool:

Ken

Last edited: Sep 16, 2017 at 1:15 AM