Velvet light seal

Ian Grant

My problem is I need differing widths and pile heights as I do a lot of restorations/repairs. Some products are now hard to find and the old lead paints can only be used if you have a special licence, and there's no good alternatives.

I have some tape that may work with the plate holders I'm restoring, they are book form rather than modern DDS, I'm assuming yours are the MPP ones Nick, I have a lot of those.

Ian

Nick Rowland

A mixture of places Ian, the Graflok back I adapted needs two strips where the modern film holder/dds mates to the camera. I also need some for the Instantograph original wooden DDS seals. None of mine are wider than about 1cm but all low pile, which is why the thicker normal velvet is just too heavyweight. The problem with felt and thick velvet it that it drags and fibres get pulled out, the original thin stuff just grazes and stays put.

Nick

David M

I suspect that you need the cheapest and nastiest version you can find. As the quality goes up, the pile seems to get longer.
Does it not need to be a little bit too thick, to allow for compression when in place?
Or could you use suede?

Nick Rowland

Yes David but the stuff I've tried is too plush and doesn't compress enough. The film holder has to be forced in and that's when the problems start. Don't know about suede to be honest, never seen it used as light seal

Nick Rowland

Ian, the roll of self adhesive velvet has arrived. It might actually do the job but is very low pile. If you message your address I'm more than happy to send you some gratis? It's a 5m roll so tons spare :)

Nick