Wet Scanning Fluid Alternative

Discussion in 'Talk About Digital Scanning' started by Ian-Barber, Dec 23, 2017.

1. Ian-Barber

Ian-Barber Admin Staff Member Registered User

Home Page:
    I have been doing some wet scan test recently with the Epson scanner. Not sure if they are sharper but the amount of dust has reduced considerably.

I read somewhere that lighter fluid can be used as an alternative to Kami Fluid. Anyone had any experience using lighter fluid

2. martin henson

martin henson Admin Staff Member Registered User

Yes set the house on fire. :)

3. mpirie

mpirie Member Registered User

That would certainly re-prioritise the concerns over dust on the negs :eek:

4. Alan9940

Alan9940 Active Member Registered User

I know nothing about lighter fluid, but if it leaves any kind of oily residue you wouldn't want that!

5. Adam Long

Adam Long New Member Registered User

I've been using Gamsol recently, which is available from art supply shops. Has been discussed on other forums, works well and seems very similar to lumina.

6. roncromberge

roncromberge Member Registered User

Yes. It's also mentioned on the betterscanning.com site as an cheap alternative.

Bought it immediately at my local art supply store. Tried it works but now i had to buy a betterscanning dryfluid mounting station.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met Tapatalk

7. martin henson

I have found the better scanning dry or even wet fluid mount station to be a an expensive waste of money for the improvements it gives in conjunction with the Epson flatbed scanners

8. mpirie

mpirie Member Registered User

Funny you should say that Martin, I bought a Betterscanning mount ages ago too, and saw little improvement on the standard Epson holders, so never used it again.

I thought it was just me that was doing it wrong!

Mike

9. Joanna Carter

Joanna Carter Active Member Registered User

Consultant Software Engineer / Photographer
    Home Page:
    I did see an improvement, once I had done the tedious and painstaking process of optimising the height. I use an Epson V700 and the BetterScanning dry mount.

10. David M

David M Well-Known Member Registered User

I got a Better Scanning mount too, but I'm blowed if I could see which quarter-turn of all those screws gave me a definitive improvement. What sort of target did you use? I looked for better-defined grain.

11. martin henson

The thing is you cannot seem to get the Epson into sharper focus whatever you try, maybe a tad better, with the mount, however, pop another negative in and your back to square one, I just think that I paid a few hundred for the Better scanning mounts dry and wet, with very little difference in quality, waste of money IMHO, and yes you would expect the grain to be in focus, afterall thats the strucrutre of your image, my Nikon scanner gets it spot on, so why cant the Epson with adjustments, maybe average optics that cant resolve the grain good enough.

12. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Active Member Registered User

Home Page:
    Wet mounting goes back to at least 1926, it's been used for enlarging small negatives. It's about negating surface artifacts from processing. This shouldn't be an issue with most modern films but a few suffer micro reticulation with poor temperature control, Acros in Rodinal is particularly prone. The effect is increased apparent graininess, the film grain hasn't changed but the surface artifacts cause issues with printing and particularly scanning.

Kodak had a big problem with C41 films when the first digital minilabs were introduced but newer films are scanner friendly after they increased hardening significantly.

So you may have no increase in quality wt mounting except with some films, depending on their processing.

Ian

Last edited: Apr 27, 2018
  13. David M

David M Well-Known Member Registered User

I did discover that the Better Scanning anti-Newton cover glass for 120 film was an exact fit for the Nikon 8000 120 holders. I removed the sliding top bars and used the glass to hold the film flat. I've always found it a struggle to fit 120 film neatly across the aperture and the glass seems to work better than the Nikon grips. It was heart-in-mouth the first time I watched my new sandwich disappear into the scanner, but there seems to be plenty of headroom.
    This may have improved the scan quality, but the main benefit to me was reduced handling of the springy film and probably fewer fingerprints.