What would you say

joe monteiro

Thread starter #1
Soooo it's often said that an idle mind it the devils plaything. Last night through the early AM while canning some soup which has lots of waiting time i began too wonder what others reply when asked what's in the thin black thing and what do you do with it? It holds a paper negative but unless they're they are involved in these black arts most have no clue. It's film to make a picture, paper similar to what you use in your printer that can make a picture, paper which make a reversed picture?

Not related but interesting, when we took out our last rotary wall phone and brought it to the bar(pub) to give to a friend it was amazing how many had no idea what it was.
j

David M

I find that almost everybody has heard of "plates" and are surprised that you can still get "film and stuff" for the LF camera.

Nowadays, you can buy new phones with a dial, but I suspect that they have conventional digital hearts.

JimW

I get the 'do you do digital' quite a lot. I resist the urge to extend the middle digit...... I say I use my digits to capture the image on film. With the equivalent of 250 MP (I dunno, but it sounds good) I don't need to do digital. The serious ones stick around and we talk images and techniques rather than toys, and the pixel counters tend to wander. I let them. 'Can you still get film'.... I resist the urge to ask them why I would do all this without a light sensitive medium in the camera..... I know they say there are no dumb questions, but on occasions.....
Or maybe I'm turning into a proper curmudgeon. (Whaddya mean, maybe?)

David M

Yes, almost certainly a curmudgeon.
I recently had a kindly woman explain the glories of her phone, as I watched the light fade. What can you do? Beating them to pulp would damage the camera and probably perforate the bellows.

Alan Clark

Yes, I've had "Do they still make film?" And "Can you still get it developed?"
And one day I was asked something really odd. I was up on the North York Moors with my 5x4 Shen Hao camera on its tripod, setting up a photograph, when two walkers came by. They looked at the camera and one of them asked "Are you doing aerial photography?"
"Yes" I replied. "From ground level"

Alan