Yashica Electro 35

Ian-Barber

Admin
Has anyone got any experience is using a Yashica Electro 35 35mm camera.

I have seen one which interests me for a simple walk about camera. All the reviews I have read seem to rate the Yashica Electro 35 as a pretty good simple point and shoot type film camera.

I had one decades ago Ian, it was a good general purpose camera from what I remember. It took fine pics and the lens seemed pretty good. I don't remember it having any quirks, which probably means did din't have any. The only thing I remember was, the battery was less common than most.

Nick

Not sure what sort of metering cell it used. Would be worth checking its accuracy as old cells can 'age' depending on their make up.

My sister had one a GSN, superb f1.7 lens very sharp, I used to do her processing. She never had any issues with hers. The Electro's used CDS cells and are usually accurate today. The CDS meter of my YAshicamat 124 is surprisingly accurate.

I gave away (I think) a Yashica Minister II the Selenium cell on that was still OK and that was about 10 years older.

Ian

he Electro's used CDS cells and are usually accurate today.

I have been reading up on these and even with the Alkaline battery conversion, they are still reported to be as accurate as the original mercury battery. Mu only gripe from reading is that there is an indication to tell you that you are over exposed but it doesnt say by how much, the manual just says, adjust the aperture ring in the direction of the arrow until the light goes out.

Well my sister had zero knowledge of photography and found the GSN very easy to use.

Personally I'd go for an Pentax ME Super, or Chinon CE4, like the Yashica both can be used on Auto and you have the greater flexibility of an SLR. I actually prefer the CE4.

Ian

Back