4x5 LOMOGraflok back for Fujifilm Instax Wide film

Collas

Thanks to FADU for making me aware of this upcoming product from LOMO.

Neil t3

I saw an article on this item on DPReview a few days back , curious to see what the image quality of Instax film I've bought an Fuji Instax 200 camera , some colour film and some B&W film ( if film's the right word ?) along with a 6x9 DDS that I will try some in on my 5x4 camera after I make a holder for the DDS .
Regardless of the outcome , I think I'll be buying one of these when there available .
I can see it being quite nice for still life's , close up's and possibly a few portraits .

Darren Lewey

Yup, looks interesting but some questions on the exact size of the print and composing with the 5x4 glass. On one site, it was suggested to use a mask.

James T

My main concern for its usefulness is the 19mm offset of the image plane behind the usual position, which would rule out the use of a 90mm on the Intrepid (and probably many others).

Neil t3

Yup, looks interesting but some questions on the exact size of the print and composing with the 5x4 glass. On one site, it was suggested to use a mask.
There's no confusion on sizes , the film Size is 11cm x 8.5cm , and the image Size is 9.9cm x 6.2cm .
The image isn't central on the film though , it's slightly raised .
See here for sample photo's ; https://shop.lomography.com/en/films/instant-film/fuji-instax-wide-film-double-pack .
If your focussing on a 5x4 GG for anything other than 5x4 you'll either need a mask or marks on the GG .
doesn't matter if it's this or a roll film back .

When you buy it , it says you get in the box ;
  • LomoGraflok 4×5 Instant Back
  • focus compensation & composition Mask
So not really an issue .

Last edited:

Neil t3

My main concern for its usefulness is the 19mm offset of the image plane behind the usual position, which would rule out the use of a 90mm on the Intrepid (and probably many others).
Can you not get a recessed lens board that fits the camera ?

Stevelmx5

I was recently loaned a beta LomoGraflok unit and spent a bit of time with it mounted to my Chroma SnapShot to test it out as a walkabout instant camera;

IMG_9121.jpgIMG_9125 2.jpg

Neil t3

I was recently loaned a beta LomoGraflok unit and spent a bit of time with it mounted to my Chroma SnapShot to test it out as a walkabout instant camera;

View attachment 2418View attachment 2419
Thanks' for the update and write up .
So from this , can we take it no productions units that people pre-ordered last year or since have been sent out yet ?

Delays are understandable due to what's been going on the last year or so .

I had been interested in getting one , but I'm not prepared to pay for something whose delivery date just keeps getting pushed back and back .
So it's not clear if the initial pre-orders for supply in march 2020 were fulfilled or not ...
Or if you pre-order one now if it will be supplied in October as the website currently states .

Stevelmx5

Thanks' for the update and write up .
So from this , can we take it no productions units that people pre-ordered last year or since have been sent out yet ?

Delays are understandable due to what's been going on the last year or so .

I had been interested in getting one , but I'm not prepared to pay for something whose delivery date just keeps getting pushed back and back .
So it's not clear if the initial pre-orders for supply in march 2020 were fulfilled or not ...
Or if you pre-order one now if it will be supplied in October as the website currently states .
Hi Neil. As far as I know (I don’t work for Lomography though), none of the retail units have gone out at all yet, including those that were Pre-ordered.

Neil t3

Hi Neil. As far as I know (I don’t work for Lomography though), none of the retail units have gone out at all yet, including those that were Pre-ordered.
Thanks Steve .
It doesn't look like any had been shipped yet as there is no talk of them .
I think I'll wait until their available to buy from stock before I buy one though .

Funnily enough it's one of your cameras it'll be used on .
A friend bought one from your original Kickstarter campaign for my Xmas present .
It's working well .
Cheers .

Stevelmx5

Thanks Steve .
It doesn't look like any had been shipped yet as there is no talk of them .
I think I'll wait until their available to buy from stock before I buy one though .

Funnily enough it's one of your cameras it'll be used on .
A friend bought one from your original Kickstarter campaign for my Xmas present .
It's working well .
Cheers .
That's great Neil, I'm glad you're enjoying it. Welcome to the Chroma Family!

Woz

Mine arrived a couple of days ago, but I didn't think to buy film, so I've only just got to play with it.
It comes with a mask/expander thingy that goes behind the ground glass on my Intrepid 5x4 to allow correct focussing and to show the area of exposure.
It's extremely simple to use - but on my Intrepid you have to remove the unit to eject the film or it gets scratched by the clip that holds it in. Not a problem as you need to remove it for each shot anyway.
img139.jpg
Me, shot at lunchtime by my other half. 1/30, F8 (the film is ISO 800).

lharby

Noice.

This is really something:

I can't shoot on mine until at least next week, as we are going away.

But I did rattle off these photograms last night.

lomo-gram-2.jpg

Collas

The first back in the UK, apparently, was tested by Marcus McAdam on the latest PhotographyOnline YouTube video.

Jonathan Hotopf

I've had mine for a month or so now. I use it on the speed graphic using the rangefinder. I move the lens back from the set hard stop by the width of the spacer (16.7mm if I remember correctly) using a vernier caliper. The framing I've got used to from using it and the optical view finder seems OK. You could create a custom insert for the finder to further refine it.

I find simple compositions work best without too much detail. Exposure it quite critical for the best results you ideally need to be with a quarter stop for perfect results.

Nas

I've also found that Instax Wide exposure latitude is closer to E6 film than anything else. Dynamic range is similar too.