9x12 film sheaths wanted

mbeard

Hello everybody.

I have inherited a Thornton-Pickard presscamera that takes 9x12 plate holders - it came with 20. It's a lovely beast (compared to my usual cameras) and I would love to have a go at using it.

It turns out that, unless I want to get really adventurous and try plate photography, I need to get some film sheaths to raise sheet film to the correct focus plane. Does anybody have any please? I don't need many as it's just to experiment with and I think I will end up developing using the taco method rather than paying out for one of the few developing tanks made for 9x12.

Thank you very much for any assistance you are able to provide.

Mike

Ian Grant

Mike, I assume it's a strut camera rather than a Ruby reflex. Unfortunately I've sold all my spare 9x12 film sheaths, I have quite a few 8z12 cameras and found a reasonably priced Yankee tank which is adjustable.

Ian

mbeard

Thank you for your response Ian. Yes the camera is a strut camera. It looks very similar to this one http://www.presscameras.org/thornton.../tpickard.html

Shame about your 9x12 sheaths all being gone, it was previous posts by you that inspired me to ask on this forum. I'm going to try to rig something up with card or glass. I've read about sticking the film down with jam! I think I'll probably try double sided sticy tape though.

The Yankee tanks have come up in my research but seem prone to uneven development. I might go for a Paterson Orbital but they seem to have become rather popular and hence expensive.

Mike

Ian Grant

Mike, I bought some aluminium sheet to make my own film sheaths maybe four years ago then stumbled on a box and a half of Eastman Kodak 9x12 film sheaths, and another half box of Quarter plate.

You might find a 9x12 reel for a Jobo 2000 series tank. I have two plain Jobo 2000 tanks (pre Rotary) that I use for 5x4, I bought the first in 1976/7. I haven't had issues with uneven development with the Yankee tank and lent it to s student he had no problems either, but they do leak a bit. I now also have a Paterson Orbital I use for 10x8 and 7x5, in the past I used someone else's when in the South of Turkey and had great results with 5x4.

Your camera is as I was expecting, it's the same shutter as my Ruby Reflex cameras, a self capping two curtain Focal plane shutter.

1590063506536.png

The only difference is the SLR's have a mirror box.

Some where I have (or had) some rather ropey films sheaths I was sent you can have one as a pattern if I can find them, they may be Quarter plate not 9x12 but the idea is the same.

Ian

David M

I devised a bodge for a half-plate camera. I got some half-plate black aluminium sheets and sprayed them very lightly indeed with Spray Mount. Then I let them dry thoroughly. There is just enough tack left to hold a sheet of film and I didn't find that any of the dried droplets detached themselves and stuck to the back. I would have preferred proper sheaths of course.

Ian Grant

I devised a bodge for a half-plate camera. I got some half-plate black aluminium sheets and sprayed them very lightly indeed with Spray Mount. Then I let them dry thoroughly. There is just enough tack left to hold a sheet of film and I didn't find that any of the dried droplets detached themselves and stuck to the back. I would have preferred proper sheaths of course.
There's Kodak Half Plate sheaths on Ebay at the moment :D

Ian