Brand View Camera

Pete Spencer

I bought a Brand view camera recently. It is approximately the same age as me. It's a studio camera of sorts but not a monorail. Reputedly made out of war surplus aluminium alloy so it is relatively light. I will post some pictures of the camera soon.

I took a few shots with it last weekend and here are some of them. I mainly wanted to check that the camera is light tight, and so it seems to be. The lens, which is not in a shutter, seems to be very sharp.

The shelf pictures taken in my office were four second exposures, the picture of my grandson was a 1 one second exposure, approximately. Grandson is not in focus perhaps because of the long exposure or because I didn't nail it. You don't have much time to compose and focus with a thirteen year lad as the subject. The twig behind him is perfect

I applied some front rise for the shelf pictures. The camera only has rear standard focusing.

Good news though, the camera is not only light tight but light enough to be portable so I will take it out for a trip soon.

All shot on Fomapan 100 with a 7 1/2" Kodak Ektanon (enlarging) lens at f32, that's its minimum aperture. Developed in Aculux 3 (OMG only a little bit of Aculux left and that's gone a bit brown) for the standard time at 22 deg C, six and a half minutes I seem to remember.
1263_002 copy.jpg
1263_003.jpg 1263_005 copy.jpg 1263_006 copy.jpg
The negatives were scanned using an Epson V700 and spotted in Photoshop. I then tweaked a few basic things in Lightroom. I didn't apply any sharpening.

Alan9940

Brand? In all my years of LF photography and related equipment I've never come across that name. Learn something new every day! :)

Good luck with your new camera.

Pete Spencer

This is all I know about it...

http://forum.mflenses.com/brand-camera-co-4x5-view-camera-1947-t51261.html

It was very cheap, but I am captivated by its simplicity. Here it is.

It has a double extension feature, by unlocking the two bed tubes at the front. It doesn't work well with wide angle tenses because of the thickness of the bellows, so I believe.

It's a bonus that it takes the same lens board as my Calumet CC401, which I also love because of its industrial build.

I had to make a piece for it because the spring for the back had sheared and didn't keep the ground glass flat. No problem when the film holder is inserted.

IMG_9966_Reduced.jpg

Richard Warom

Interesting camera Pete the photos you've shown with it turned out well also, I think you'll have some fun with this beast.

Pete Spencer

Alan9940, I just weighed it at 3.25 Kg. I bought a secondhand Lowepro backpack for it so it is officially transportable now.