Daughter portrait

robclarke

My daughter kindly posed for a portrait over the weekend. This is a quick scan, the composition is better on the negative some of which got cropped by the scanner (v800). Ilford HP5+ film Linhof master technika, Schneider APO 210mm lens at f5.6. It is a shame about the emulsion damage on the bottom left not sure what caused that. I will print this in the darkroom. Does anyone have any ideas how I can hide the emulsion damage at the printing stage?

img332 by biotecbob, on Flickr

alexmuir

If the damage is a hole in the emulsion layer, you could try repairing the negative by filling the hole with pencil. Only drawback is, if it doesn't work, you may have a further problem. You could cover the spot with something like a coin during exposure, then print in the resulting white circle, either with no negative in the carrier, or with this negative and a suitable undamaged section of background positioned over the unexposed circle. That would require a bit of trial and error, but exposure time for the 'patch' should be the same as for the overall print. That would avoid any interference with your negative. It's a great shot, and certainly worth the effort to make a good print.
Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mono

Great image of a nice young lady!
I would crop just above the damage.

Last edited:

KenS

Nice portrait.. well done with a nice 'softlight' effect.
Rather than becoming overly stressed about the emulsion damage (and I think most of us have had that experience at one time... and sometimes more than once), I will 'duplicate and support' Folker's suggestion of cropping just above the damage... it will not, in any way, reduce the 'quality' of this portrait.

Ken

robclarke

Thanks all. Yes I think you are right that cropping is the most sensible option. Looking forward to going to the darkroom now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro