Day's lock & Lt. Wittenham

James T

Day's Lock and Little Wittenham Church from Round Clump, Good Friday.
And just for fun, the weir at the full scan resolution.
Intrepid 5x4 with Schneider Symmar 150mm, 1/4s at f/45. Kodak Ektar in DaYi 6x12 roll film back.

Keith Haithwaite

This is a lovely view James but there is a blue cast over the entire image which is easily removed in PS - unless that is the effect you're after - but I am also seeing the image divided into four equally spaced vertical bands, is this something to do with scan stitching?

James T

This is a lovely view James but there is a blue cast over the entire image which is easily removed in PS - unless that is the effect you're after - but I am also seeing the image divided into four equally spaced vertical bands, is this something to do with scan stitching?
It was quite hazy, I did apply the RawTherapee Haze removal, and to my eyes it only looks blue behind the line of the church and lock--but then my colour vision isn't the best which is why I mostly do B&W.
I hadn't noticed the segmentation (actually there are 5 bars as there's a narrow strip at the left), I'm not sure where that comes from, the image was scanned with VueScan on an Epson V800 so there's no stitching, and I can't think that AG Photolabs processing would do that to the negative.

Keith Haithwaite

To save a lot of words I have done a quick neutralize with PS to show the difference:

Regarding the scan: what scanning software did you use and was it by any chance set to some sort of frame detection mode?

Late edit: I didn't notice the fifth band :rolleyes:

James T

I use VueScan with manual frame selection. Interestingly I checked the other 5 images from the roll, and the three that have enough sky to see do not show any banding.

Keith Haithwaite

Have you checked for the banding on the negative with a good loupe James? I don't know how this could have been caused in the camera but you need to eliminate it as a possibility. I use the same scanner and software and I've never seen this before so I'm a bit stumped. :(

Ian Grant

I'm seeing more than just the banding on my screen, I'm also seeing uneven development or perhaps incomplete Bleach fix. I've had to exaggerate it so you can look at what I mean

The banding looks like a scanning problem, some scanners scan in steps at their higher resolution. I'm assuming the negative is in a 120mm holder and these usually run top to bottom along the long edge of 120.

Ian

Keith Haithwaite

I've run my V800 up to it's max resolution many times Ian and never seen this kind of banding so it may be that James's scanner is playing up. Another thought, if this film has been processed in some rotary device could it be a problem with chemical quantities or rotation problems? I have no experience with such processors so I can't help there.

James T

Since the film was developed by a lab, I don't know how it was done.
I'll keep an eye for any problems with the scanner, the scans were run at max res (6400 dpi) and then binned down by a factor 3 in VueScan, which is what I normally do for 6×9 and up.

Keith Haithwaite

You need to check the negative James. If the banding is on the negative then it's not a scanner problem, labs are not infallable and the neg will tell you one way or another.

Ian Grant

I happened to be online on a tablet PC and noticed there's also dark lines running the length of the sky. If it was me I'd stick it in an enlarger and make a rough B&W print to see if the issues are actually in the negative or due to scanning. I'm fairly confident the banding is from the scanner but there is an outside chance the labs roller transport processor is.was playing up.

Ian