Disturbing Ebay trend

Ian Grant

This is really an LF phenomenon. Unscrupulous sellers (it's only a few) are deliberately splitting selling the pairs of lens cells and then the shutter separately, and sometimes splitting the front and rear cells which ideally need to be matched pairs.

This does us no favours, but then I almost bid on a 180mm f5.6 Symmar and it went for £32, the shutter's worth more than that on it's own so it is a dilemma.

Ian

Renato Tonelli

It is an unfortunate situation and I realize that sellers make more money by selling by the piece rather than the whole item.

Ian Grant

A glitch on Ebay showed the 180mm lens selling for £32 in fact it went to £70+ still quite cheap but not a FL I need but I may buy a lens that's going to sell for way under the usual ball park figure.

I have a nice little Linhof Synchro Compur #0 shutter, these were slightly better than the normal Synchro Comurs, the companies had some common shareholders/ownership. The difficulty is matching shutters to the correct FL set of lens cells particularly with shutters with engraved aperture scales. This particular shutter is marked to f3.5 which means almost certainly it housed a 105mm f3.5 Xenar at one time.

Some Copal aperture scales are marked for the make/FL, Nikon did this and some Rodenstock scales are marked as well.

Ian