Gandolfi Tailboard

Paul Kay

Just for fun. The Grubb Patent Doublet dates from about 1857-60 and is considered by some to be akin to a RR lens. Surprisingly good with a home made plastic Waterhouse Stop and roughly fixed onto a Sony A7II. eventually it will be sorted out and fitted to an LF camera but for the moment this will have to do. Its base problem is flare not helped by 150+ years of muck which is taking time to clean off, and some yellowing of the balsam.

Ian Grant

Very nice, what format ? I need to get my own Gandolfi half plate field camera restored. I also have an E & T Underwood tailboaard quarter plate camera which looks more like your Gandolfi.

Too many cameras queued up for restoration at the moment, some other British field cameras, 3 US Seneca 7x5's, and various SLRs :D

Ian

Paul Kay

Its a half plate but I intend to fit a 5" x 4" back plus a potential digital conversion back(!). The lens is a Dallmeyer Serrac in a Compur shutter.

Ian Grant

Reminds me I have an Underwood tail board Quarter plate camera. . . . . . . It's now stripped down. brass work cleaned needing a polish, wood work is partially restored just needs French polishing and new bellows :D

Then perhaps it's time to restore my early Louis Gandolfi half plate camera, or should the SLR's get preference :)

Ian

Paul Kay

Well, I looked all over another half plate tailboard camera I own which I was convinced was a Gandolfi and couldn't find any name stamp. Today I dug out a dentist's mirror and finally found the stamp 'L Gandofi Makers London' on the front cross member beneath the bellows! I assume it was stamped lest there should be any doubt later on. Which I suppose shows that its worth really examining these old cameras very carefully indeed. I have read that Louis Gandolfi supplied the 'trade' and the camera is otherwise unmarked and I assume that this is one such camera. It looks like it might have been a stereo or made to be used as a stereo if required. More research will be needed.