Greetings

Renato Tonelli

Greetings everyone -

A brief introduction of sorts: I live in New York City and work in a University. I am fortunate to be able to spend my Summer holiday in Tuscany, Italy where I was born and grew up. The vast majority of my photographic work is done while on holiday in Italy.
I have been doing large format since the late 1980s. I am fond of saying that 'here isn't a format that I don't like': from 35mm to 10x8. As you may well know, in the USA we don't use 10x8 and 5x4 film formats - we use the much more convenient 8x10 and 4x5 formats...
Large format cameras are Linhof Master Tech., Ebony 7x5/5x4, Deardorff 10x8. I have mixed feelings about the 10x8: I was very excited at first but the weight of the entire kit makes mobility in non urban areas difficult. As a result it is getting very little use.
All of my printing is done in a darkroom with Durst enlargers (up to 7x5 negs).

I hope to participate in discussions here.

Regards to all -

JimW

As you may well know, in the USA we don't use 10x8 and 5x4 film formats - we use the much more convenient 8x10 and 4x5 formats...
Welcome to the forum. Ah well, at least you can turn the cameras on their sides........ Agreed, some formats are easier to use than others.

Alan9940

Welcome to the forum, Renato. I, too, use the much more convenient 4x5 and 8x10 formats. :D I've used a Deardorff since the early 1980's, but fairly recently starting using an Intrepid 8x10 for hiking, etc. At my older age, ya just can't beat 5 lbs (sorry...2.2 kg ;) ) for an 8x10 camera. Yep, lugging an 8x10 around ain't easy, but contact print those large, beautiful negs and you'll know why you do it!

David M

Welcome.
It was 10x8 and 5x4 when the Pilgrim Fathers set off. Something must have got bumped on the voyage.

Last edited:

Ian Grant

When I saw the Tonelli surname I thought Strictly Come Dancing, not something we watch but we do catch odd snippets of :D

Here in the UK we lost half plate and whole plate in the 1970's and there was nothing available between 5x4 and 10x8, even Kodak dropped Half plate and they were the largest manufacturer of Half plate cameras here after WWII.

So we imported 7x5 cameras (in my case) or use 7x5 International DDS in a modern Half plate camera, (International standard).

Ian

KenS

Much 'easier' to me to 'say' 5 by 7 since it 'rolls off the tongue' somewhat more readily. [:cool:))))) ]

Ken