Hello, belatedly

ChrisR

Having very recently taken my first steps into LF, I decided to join this forum... only to discover that I'm apparently already a member, and my computer even remembers the password, which I certainly don't!* However, it appears I have not made any posts, so I thought I should introduce myself (again, if my search missed it).

I backed the Chroma Kickstarter from Steve Lloyd, who is a fellow member of the Talk Photography Film and Conventional forum, my usual hangout. In fact, there's a thread on F&C detailing the entire history of the Chroma from first thoughts in a pub to the successful KS and beyond! I got my Chroma (in British Racing Green!) a few weeks ago, literally an hour before departing for a week-long photography trip to the Glencoe area of Scotland with fellow F&C members. Unfortunately, it rained hard for 5 and a half days of the trip, so, as someone there (possibly @Stephen Batey of this forum) wrote, no sheets of 4x5 were harmed by me. However, I did get to practise setting up the camera, and loading the darkslide, and was given some OOD film so ended up with two DDS, one with FP4 and one with HP5.

Since return I've taken my first two shots, of nearby Kenilworth Castle. It seemed to go well, apart from attracting the attention of some young cattle as I was packing up...

DSCF4273.jpg

Films have been posted off to Peak for processing, and I'm hoping someone will help me get them scanned.

I've been asking questions about home development of 4x5. I currently do 135 in an Agfa Rondinax tank, to date with Ilfosol 3, but just received a bottle of HC 110. I've also backed the Lab-box Kickstarter. I don't think either of these will be suitable for even one sheet of 4x5. I was wavering a bit on the SP-445 despite its high cost, but there's a thread on here that's a bit off-putting. Someone suggested a Paterson Orbital but that's apparently even more expensive. The MOD54 looks really fiddly to load (I lack good manual dexterity in one hand), and I only have a relatively small dark bag, not sure I could get an appropriate cardboard box in there!. So it's looking like the taco method for a while; I have my eye on a Paterson System 4 tank on fleabay.

So, my general thoughts currently tend to be: OMG HOW MUCH????? Just hoping I don't have to reveal too much of the cost to my OH...

* It occurs to me it's just possible the membership details were "inherited" from the black and white forum run by the same fine folk...

Ian Grant

Welcome, LF is good fun as I'm sure you'll find out. You can get Paterson tanks for next to nothing at Wolverhampton Camera Fair, there's one next month Sunday 25th.

Ian

Stephen Batey

Welcome back from StephenM of another parish :D.

Edit to add: I can't standardise my name, but I have switched my avatar to the one from TalkPhotography now.

Last edited:

ChrisR

I'm not contemplating even buying colour 4x5 at this stage! £6 a sheet for Ektar and that's about the cheapest AFAICS!

Thanks for the welcome, everyone.

David M

In that case, you can develop sheet film in the trays you already own. You do need proper darkness, of course. Although it sounds intimidating, after a little practice, it's quite easy. Good enough for AA. Other people may have other opinions and advice. In this matter, everybody is right, more or less.

ChrisR

In that case, you can develop sheet film in the trays you already own. You do need proper darkness, of course. Although it sounds intimidating, after a little practice, it's quite easy. Good enough for AA. Other people may have other opinions and advice. In this matter, everybody is right, more or less.
Sadly, I don't have any trays, nor an appropriate dark room. I currently develop my 135 film using an Agfa Rondinax daylight tank, which doesn't even require a dark bag to load the spiral (though I have now acquired a rather small dark bag).

Ian Grant

No darkroom isn't an issue :D I lived in Turkey for a few years I loaded my Paterson (120 & 35mm) and 5x4 (Jobo) tanks in the bathroom which has no window, I also loaded my DDS there. I've loaded film into DDS and dev tanks and processed in hotel rooms or rented accommodation many times.

Ian

ChrisR

First images back from Peak, there is something on them (my biggest fear was blank negatives!). However there's also a light leak on both shots, RHS of the negative so LHS of the frame, which IIRC was the point of entry of the DDS. I'm currently blaming user error. This is a quick scan of the negative on the household printer/scanner...

2018-10-24-0004.jpg

Doesn't look all that brilliantly focused either, but that could well be the scanning. I'll get it properly scanned next week. Meantime a pack of Fomapan 100 has arrived, and a Paterson tank should be here tomorrow so I can try some taco style devving! The weather's going to be a bit grey, but I guess it doesn't matter for test shots.

David M

Perfectly good picture.
Pity about the (ahem) learning curve on the right. It does look as though the film holder wasn't properly seated in the back of the camera. The last centimetre sometimes needs a little extra shove. Alternatively, the back may not be seated perfectly on the camera body. A fault with the dark slide itself would start at the edge of the film. It's a good thing to experience the mistakes now, and not when you've just made the image of lifetime.
Best of luck with the tacos.

Last edited:

ChrisR

Thanks David. Yes, the seating of the dark slide looks the most likely culprit. I'll have another go with the Fomapan, see if I can get it all square.