Hello from Blackburn

Mick Rawsterne

Hello
I'm Mike from Blackburn
I use both digital and analogue and have recently bought a Toyo 45 c 5 by 4 although I would have preferred a 5 by 4 field camera. I'm using a Doran developing tank which I find difficult to use. Can anyone suggest a reasonably available alternative?
I'm mostl;y looking forward to sharing work and experiences with other people

Hello Mike and welcome to the forum.
I use 5x4 and like to use the SP-445 development tank which is available from our UK Sponsor

Ian

Hi Mick

I've used Jobo 2000 tanks since arounf 1976/7 these are the predesseors of the Rotary tanks, great and easy to use the later Rotary tanks take similar 5x4 spirald. I also use a Yankee tank but mostly for 9x12, and a Paterson Orbital for 7x5 & 10x8 but they are excellent for 4 sheets of 5x4 as well.

Ian

You can develop in trays if you have enough darkness. Shuffling through the pile seems to terrify novices, but it worked well for some of the greats. It's true that it does need a bit of practice.
If you can find one, the Combiplan tank works well. They are long out of production.

If you have a “darkroom”, tray development works well and I started with this process as I had the trays, but it obviously requires you to develop in total darkness. I’ve just purchased the Stearman Press SP-445, as Ian above, and it just makes the whole process so much easier, and probably allows for more accurate processing, uses less chemicals i.e. 450ml for 4 sheets of 4 x 5, and saves time when clearing up afterwards. I find it easy to load straight from holders in the dark, and despite the occasional slight leak of fluid out of the lid during agitation, I’ve found it really good. It seems expensive for a bit of plastic, but looks like it it will give great service for many years. ..... another vote for the SP-445

Last edited:
We know there are lots of ways to develop 4x5 negs, the easiest is without doubt the SP-445, so don't bother about Jobos, combiplan or in trays etc etc, buy the SP- 445 tank

Back