Hello- my name is Jonathan

Jonnyslade

Hi, I thought I would introduce myself, having been a lurker on this site for a bit!
I have been interested in photography since childhood, and am now ahem--- in my mid 50"s.
I stopped using film 14 years ago, however by chance I stumbled across a camera shop in Cambridge that was like the camera shops of old- I picked up an old Nikon 35mm SLR and suddenly had a overwhelming desire to rediscover the joys of film photography.....
I ran a roll of b and w tri x through a Pentax Spotmatic and was reminded how incredible "proper" black and white can look- so have dug out my old 4X5 camera kit which has been in a cupboard for over a decade. It is as fabulous as I remember, the only casualty is the Harrison silver focussing cloth which has gone all sticky- I have purchased a replacement arriving tomorrow, as well as a Lee big stopper that looks a bit of fun.
Luckily when I went digital, I kept all my SLR's/rangefinders and my Ebony RSW45- I am the first to admit that while I do love photography, I also love the quality of the engineering in the mechanics and the optics of older cameras- they fill me with joy to just hold them........sorry getting carried away here.....
Anyway, I have some velvia 50 in my freezer thats > 10 yrs old so heavens knows what this will be like but I am going to give it a good go this weekend. Even better, I bought my youngest son a DSLR for his birthday so we are going to go out together- me with the 4X5 and him with the modern solution.......
I live near Joe Cornish, and the heather is looking splendid on the North Yorks Moors right now, so that's where I am heading.
I am pretty rusty so no doubt will make many mistakes along the way.
It seems that there is a really supportive and interesting group of people who post on this site, as well as a wealth of knowledge and advice.
I will let you know how I get on- and no doubt ask lots of questions too
Many thanks in advance to all of you.

Hello Jonathon and welcome to the forum. Enjoy your return to film. I am sure there will be somebody here who can answer your questions.

Hi Jonathan,

Welcome back to the dark(room) side ;)

Mike

Hello and welcome, you'll find a heavy Yorkshire bias here :D

Ian

Welcome Jonathan,
We look forward to seeng the results of your trip. How could you own an Ebony and not take it out from time to time, at least to stroke it?

Hello Johnathan, and welcome to the forum. I live at the southern end of the North York Moors and do most of my photography up there. Not the easiest place to photograph, but the light can be amazing...Good luck.

Alan

Thanks for all the kind responses- and especially pleased to hear that there is a North Yorkshire bias....
First question- 10 yr old Velvia 50 that's been in a sealed bag in my freezer- seems to be a variety of views as to what effect if any this has on the films performance- it seems to just depend- however is there any consensus on ISO change as film ages- or do I just use 50 ASA as on the box?
Thank you

Back