Hello!

tomkilphoto

hi Folks,
Im new to this forum, i havent yet taken the delve into large format and i have some queries and concerns (!) id like to review with the knowledgeable folks on this forum.
if i get over my concerns with LF photography, my weapon of choice would be the intrepid 4x5.

Welcome Tom.

Ask away !!

You may be surprised how rewarding LF photography can be.

Mike

Welcome.
Ask as much as you need to know. Somebody here will have an answer. You may get more than one, and all of them will be right.
My own best advice would be to dive right in and make the mistakes. Make as many as you can. You will certainly make mistakes; it's a necessary part of becoming an LF photographer, and it will make your questions much more interesting.
If you've ordered an Intrepid, you still have plenty of time left to sort out everything else.
Your choice of camera will have surprisingly little effect on the final images. An LF camera is just a bag full of darkness with a door at one end to let some of it out.
You'll need a reasonably sturdy tripod, but happily the Intrepid's demands on sturdiness are minimal. You'll need a lens, but you might consider a pinhole to start. 150mm is the normal focal length and it's probably best to avoid starting with an extreme focal length. Only you will know what sort of image you prefer. As the experience of LF is so different from other cameras, you may like to wait a little before getting a second lens, to see what kind of images your own camera prefers. Your lens will be very unhappy without a cable release.
You will need a meter. There are meters available as apps for your iPhone and they work quite well. You may want to progress to a hand held spot meter as you gain more experience. Some people say they use their DSLR as a meter, but this seems rather odd to me, like towing a Mini behind the Bentley.
Then you'll need a dark cloth. Almost anything opaque will do, and there are all sorts of models available with all sorts of opinions on which is best. Elsewhere on the web there are suggestions that you pull your T-shirt over you head but this should not be attempted in front of impressionable strangers.
You'll need something to magnify the screen for focusing. The naked eye can be unreliable. About 4x to 6x magnification will be about right. You can spend a surprising amount on a top-class loupe, but almost anything will suffice to begin. Some people use a pair those cheap reading glasses.
Naturally, you'll need film holders. Intrepid sell new Toyo holders which are excellent, but you may care to look on Ebay. They should be in good condition. Nothing is worse than a long day out, capturing masterpieces, then finding them ruined by light leaks. How many you need is a personal matter.
You need something to carry all this around safely.
You will need film, of course. You will need a reliable supply of darkness to load it into the holders. And it needs to be processed. This gibberish is already too long, so no advice on that at the moment.
There are all sorts of goodies you may aspire to eventually; filters, grads, polarisers, woolly hats, The Big Stopper (if you like chicken soup) and so on. They won't be needed until you need them. Save your money and use more film.
It will help the learning process if you make brief notes as you make the images.
Other members of the Forum may like to suggest a reading list.

Last edited:
A few more random thoughts.
Firstly: You will make mistakes, don't get discouraged -- even Ansel Adams made mistakes.
Corollary 1: Start with things and places where you can have another go if it doesn't work out first time.
Corollary 2: Start out with relatively cheap film such as Fomapan.

With the Intrepid it is a very good idea to black the exposed wood on the interior and where the dark slide seats (a black marker pen or modelling paint will do fine), it significantly reduces the risk and/or severity of light leaks.

Select a convention for whether white means the film is pristine or the film has seen the light on your dark slides and stick to it, there is no right or wrong way!

thanks James, good idea on the fomapan!
I agree on the mistakes, make them quickly, embrace the process and learn.
Im already pedantic with focus and slow working with my digital macro setup, so LF should be a natural progression.
I havent shot film in 15 years so it will take me back a bit for sure!!
Im thinking of the MPP MicroTechnical camera now, after some steering on the "gear" forum board. my main aim is to do closeup and or macro, and the intrepid might not be the best suited camera for that.

A modest note on dark slides, if I may.
Both Ansel Adams and Kodak say that the white, virginal side means unexposed film. This is the most common version. AA specifically suggests that if you ever work with another photographer you should establish which way round the other one thinks is the right way.
What we actually lack is some way to distinguish an empty but closed holder from a loaded and closed one, whether or not it's been exposed.
You may have read on this forum about the Kickstarter glass plate holder with a protruding indicator. If only... I leave them with the sheath slightly withdrawn, just enough to see the inside. I dust them just before loading, but that would be normal practice in any case.
James is quite right about blackening the Intrepid. Easily done with a Jumbo marker. And he's right about Fomapan, too.

Last edited:
My two pennies/cents worth.... Get a notebook. (Sigh, yawn, yada yada yada....) Really, get one. Then make a note of absolutely everything, and I mean everything for the first (pick a number) shots. When you realise that when you do this, or that, it results in that or this, then you can see cause and effect. When it consistently goes right, then you have a workflow that works. If you see the occasional 'mistake/failure', at least you can refer to your notes to try and ascertain the cause. Of course, when you get accustomed to what works and what doesn't, then you can reduce the amount of notes you take. Until the next round of screamers....(Translation - the negatives you scream at - AAAAARRRGGGHHH!)
Welcome to the forum.

Yes, do that. Sooner or later you may find you're not regularly referring back to them to discover what went wrong. You will always need some way to remember plus and minus development. I know someone who made Chinagraph marks on the actual slide, but that would worry me. What will happen to any loose waxy flakes?
Take two pencils.

Back