Home Building my Own 8x10 Camera

Jonathan Hotopf

Popular Poster
I've just started the process of building my own 8x10 camera. This is to take an aerial recon 8Kg 24" lens (excuse the mix of metrics here!).

I've ordered the bellows off Keith at Customs bellows (900mm extension 10.5 x 10.5 inch internal). The local blacksmith is making up the springs for the back as I hate plastic springs. Will be constructed of plywood largely and employ a trapezoidal focusing mech and sliders. Will be making it up as I go. But can't really do anything until the main components are in place. I could start on the front lens standard I suppose. Fortunately the lens already is mounted on a panel so just need a 7.25" x 7.25" recess for that.

Jonathan, good luck with your project. Large format cameras are great fun to build. I have made quite a few over the years. If I can offer you some advice, I would start with the back, not the front. Get a film holder, if you haven't already got one, and make the back so the film holder fits in it.
I believe I only live a few miles from you. I'm in the Vale of Pickering, near Malton. I make guitars and have a workshop with plenty of machinery and lots of wood. So if you need any wood, or anything cutting up, I'd be pleased to help.

Alan

Wow, thanks Alan, I've got a Toyo film holder and I did get an Intrepid 8x10 focusing screen (though I've managed to crack it!). I'm only 10 miles from Malton so you're really close. Your workshop would be a real help. My machinery just consists of a router and a few saws.

New bellows with the 24" Aero lens, it extends to 900mm so I can focus reasonably close.

Jonathan, the new bellows look very good, and fit in nicely with the size of the lens. In fact I have the feeling that viewers won't realise from the photograph just how big and heavy the lens is. I got quite a shock on Sunday when I picked it up. And I've been scratching my head trying to work out how you will build a camera rigid enough to support it, then find a tripod strong enough to carry it. Maybe your photograph provides the answer. You could build the camera on a big plank of wood, and support it on a table.....!

Alan

I think this is going to need two tripods. The main one around the lens at teh from and a smaller one for the back. I think the focusing could work from the back. I need to get a new focusing screen as the intrepid one I got is cracked.

When we met I didn't ask what kind of photography you plan to do with this camera. At three feet long and with two tripods it's certainly going to be a rather special piece of kit. What do you have planned for it?

Alan

Me I wish to build a standard tripod with 5 legs for my Reisekamera.
Two legs rises from the feet of two tripod legs up to a wooden plate, the wooden plate herself is fixed to the tripod had.
The wooden plate, now fixed at three points, will carry the camera.
This will give me more flexibility and easier handling than two tripods.
The other advantage will be a simple fix of the camera to the big plate.

I have seen pictures of very large cameras supported by one suitably large tripod, plus a supplementary monopod - a single adjustable leg at one end. This is obviously more portable and reduces the trip hazard of having six legs spread out around the camera. I mention this because I seem to be particularly good at tripping, particularly during exposures. Unexpectedly, I can get three images; the original composition, the post-trip one and another, fainter one, as the apparatus relaxes back towards the original position.

Yes, I saw a video by a chinese guy who had several tripods for a massive camera. It's something I'm still giving thought to. The front lens is so massive it needs a tripod below it and another one is required for the back end. I'm thinking about adding a bit of flexibility to it so when I'm using normal lens it is not too unwieldy. I could try interchangeable parts.

Here's what I have so far plus an old Tachihara focusing screen (not in this photo) from Nik and Trick. Just got the springs which I'm really happy about as they are NOS 10x8 Deardorff springs. Next stage is probably putting together the back standard and the bellows frames. Currently watching loads of woodworking and camera repair YT videos.

Attachments

• IMG_8501.JPG
    IMG_8501.JPG
    224.6 KB · Views: 6
Back