How many here DON'T use Photoshop

How many here DON'T use Photoshop

• I use Photoshop

Votes: 9 31.0%
  • I use an alternative

Votes: 20 69.0%

• Total voters
Adobe do offer student versions, but you have to be a student and be able to prove it.

Adobe do offer student versions, but you have to be a student and be able to prove it.

That's where Corel differ as their license is for Student and Home use and is a fraction of the full price, there are some features not available but none that I'd miss.

Ian

Hello from France, coming really exceeding late to this discussion!
I do not know if there is an English equivalent (as the saying goes) to the French « Mieux vaut tard que jamais » , but here I am, 9 months later ;)

I've been using linux machines for 20 years now, and I never considered to use any software, be it commercial or free, for my personnal use, outside linux.
I was lucky enough in this period, to work for an employer who did not demand any M....ft (horresco referens) software.
Hence I've only used linux for my job as well; since 1998. Before that, I used UNIX workstations.
For a short time (nobody is perfect) before the UNIX workstations, I did use PC-236 and -386 machines under MS-DOS (horresco referens, again), but as soon as linux became available, I switched to linux and I've never considered anything else.

Hence I've been a happy user of GIMP with linux for at least 10 years now.

Now that GIMP 2.10 is able to handle as many bits per pixels as you could dream, and taking into account that, to date, I only use 5% of GIMP features, I'm really not ready to pay for anything, be it cheap, claimed to be "the standard that everybody uses".
I was trained to frame and expose my film images without any post-processing. Since the sixties, with the 620-rollfilm 6x9 cm camera given to me by my my grandfather.
I'm trained to use film cameras since the sixties of the last century, and I've been continuing so since the Great Collapse of Film Cameras at the beginning of this millenium.
Hence the arguments regarding "the standard that everybody uses" have little chance to make me reconsider my photographic tools, even if they are related to the brilliant world of computer / digital / post-processing / inkjet printing ;)
I do not sell my images, I never considered to get any revenue from my images. I live totally outside the professionnal competition, as far as images are concerned.
The idea that I could be immediately pushed out of business by not using "standard production tools that everybody uses" is simply irrelevant to me.

Hence, in 2018, the very few features of digital processing that I use are generously provided by GIMP at no cost, and I use it seriously only for colour digitised images that I create from film shots.
For my B&W work, darkroom, enlarger and photo-chemistry should be the rule, if I had enough time (this is another story).
The only digital post-processing operations that I use are: cropping, rotating, lightly fiddling with contrast and colour curves, and perspective correction when I am lazy enough to use a hand-held camera with no movements instead of using my faithful view camera (shame on me).

For sure, from time to time, for a joke to be posted on my favourite forums, I succumb to the temptation of creating digital images by cutting / pasting images and playing with them before posting the results to illustrate a message on my favourite photographic discussion forums.
But this is not photography. This is simply playing with pixels, just for fun.
A freeware under linux is perfect for this purpose, no need at all for any expensive commercial software ;)

Last edited:
Hello from France, coming really exceeding late to this discussion!
I do not know if there is an English equivalent (as the saying goes) to the French « Mieux vaut tard que jamais » , but here I am, 9 months later ;)

"Better late than never" - and I may say more myself later :D

I still use Unix on all my computers; or, at least, MacOS, which derives from Darwin, which derives from NeXTSTEP, which derives from FreeBSD, which derives from Unix (or something like that)

The difference between macOS and Linux is I don't have to be a sandal-wearing, beard-growing geek to know how to use macOS ;):)o_O

As fo W*****s, or M*******t in general, if I really have to use it (like for programming for W*****s), I have a virtual machine running in Parallels on my Mac; thus ensuring that, when W*****s inevitable screws itself up, all I have to do is close Parallels, copy a backup of the VM and get going again. In the meantime, I have a fully working Mac for everything else

I used Photoshop CS2 until my desktop stopped working 2 years ago. I did think about buying a new PC but then I decided that I would be better off spending my time in the darkroom learning to be a better printer. So no Photoshop or any other photo manipulating software for me, I may consider editing software if I ever lost my mobility or if I did not have the use of a darkroom. Photography for me is just a hobby, (which I enjoy), I don't enjoy sitting in front of a computer, I use my phone to access the internet.

I also subscribe to Photoshop but rarely use it as CameraRAW does all of my processing. I've taken a look at SilkyPix, and followed a LinkedIn training course on Capture One (and a few on the use of CameraRAW), though I haven't, as yet, decided to stop my payments to Adobe, though I dropped my Audition subscription (for wildlife sound recordings) as it was so expensive. I've been using Photoshop since version 2.5 but still don't really know how to use it. I can get by with CameraRAW and never got to grips with Lightroom which doesn't make much sense as they are basically the same.

No PS for me......i use Lightroom 6, but purely for cataloguing purposes.....no editing, no manipulation.....just scan and import so that i can quickly find negs going back to when i started. Sometimes wonder if i'm missing out. :confused:
I edit my scans with Lightroom 6 and Photoshop Elements. You're welcome to view them on my FLickr site. Note that these are 35mm and medium format. I have just started LF and have nothing posted there yet. I've scanned with an Epson V600. But will need something bigger for the 4x5's I'm shooting now.

Whilst I have Photoshop as part of the subscription, everything is done in Lightroom, and the latest versions are just going from strength to strength. The latest release the other week with the new de-noising feature is epic and does a great job on the high ISO images. I have no concerns about using my R5 @ ISO 6400 (sometimes higher) in dark venues where I'm trying to avoid flash.

I've now dropped Adobe entirely, aside from Acrobat, and use Capture One Pro and SilverFast.

There is a new updated version of the Affinity suite. Some of the commands seem to be different and if you open an old Affinity 1 document in Affinity 2, it warns you that if you save it in Affinity 2, you won't be able to open it again in Affinity 1.
I'm afraid that as it's a whole-number upgrade, you have to pay.

As I am one of the Adobe Pre Build testers, I use it every single day and probably have done since 1991

I've noticed GIMP improve significantly recently, I did trial and early Beta of Version 3 some time and and older computer ago, that will be a very significant when it's eventually rolled out.

In the past I've used CorelDraw for small book and catalogues which go to the printers in PDF format. Corel had an excellent program Ventura which was slightly better than InDesign but they dropped it in 2002, I'd consider Affinity Publisher but first must try Scribus which many seem to like.

If Adobe were to offer a Student/Home version of their Creative Suite I'd be interested, essentially that's what Corel do with their CorelDraw suite and it's more powerful than the Serif (Affinity) alternatives.

Ian

I use GIMP exclusively, no PS.

I use only GIMP, certainly at 10% of its capacity.

I would say that's true for most people. Photoshop can do things GIMP cannot, but to exploit them - notably 16bit/color, you will need:

1. A calibrated capture/scan mechanism that produces 16bpp files.
  2. A calibrated multi-billion color monitor with a video card that can fully drive the greater bit depth.
  3. A calibrated printer if you plan to make hard copy.
I do, in fact, have a multi-billion color monitor though my card cannot drive it to its full bit depth, but that's OK, because it has generally better color fidelity even at the lower bit depths than a similar IPS monitor without the extended bit depth. I am therefore able to calibrate said monitor to pretty closely match my printing output ... Costco, now Shutterfly. In general, I find GIMP more than adequate for the amount of digital post work I do. At least so far, I've never found it to be the limitation, but rather my own inexperience in how to use it well. For me to go to the next level with this stuff, I need a much, much, much better film scanner and I'm not quite ready to abandon the silver print and darkroom just yet.

I say this as someone who barely does much with digital capture or film scanning. I'm sure PS has other virtues. For example, it's the de facto standard for digital post processing and therefore has a very large body of practice, plugins, support, training, and so forth available.

I moved from Photoshop to GIMP 6+ years ago, because of the subscription costs. Miss PS sometimes but doing without encourages me to stay with analogue and away from the computer. The couple things GIMP won't do for me are more about graphics editing than photo processing, so rarely a problem.

Back