In the back GARDEN

KenS

Popular Poster
Gnomes.jpg

There’s a worm (oops) two.. count 'em!! TWO... Gnomes at the bottom of my garden (but they’re not called “Wiggly” and “Woo”)

I just 'found' this negative in a film holder I was about to 're-load.....last Friday evening... but was not sure if it had been 'exposed'.. but quickly decided discretion would be the better part of valour and replaced the darkslide.. got my Pyrocat HD and 'water-bath' ready.... extracted the film and slipped it into a 'tube' and 'did 'what was requirede. I had (obviously) forgotten that i had 'made this exposure and/or 'recorded' the exposure information... but I do remember it was in September but 'knew' it would have been "appropriate" (using an incident light reading) . IF my memory is 'correct', it was exposed using my 240mm on the Linhof atop my wooden tripod with the legs 'splayed' completely out in order to get 'low enough' but I still had to 'raise' the back a little for a better composition. I have no 'memory' of the exposure details. (My bad!!)

Ken

first Clematis.jpg

'She and Me ' just spent some garden time providing some further 'support-help' for the two 'climbing' Clematis up against the back deck that have been 'extending their growth' by 6 to 8 inches every day. This morning, I decided that 'further' assistance was required to keep them 'upright' and noticed the first flower was 'in need' of having its photograph made. Got the Linhof out.. but (unfortunately) not quite the room/space to 'plant' the tripod 'properly' and decided to 'try' (once again) a hand-held exposure somewhat 'close' but not quite macro with the 240mm using one of my last ten sheets of Tri-X. Spot meter reading indicated
125th @ f.11 (using a white with texture and I 'guestimated' one f-stop for extension (i was not 'ready' to go and hunt for a tape
and and exposed measure 1/60 at 11. Developed with D76 in BTZS tubes as 'Normal' (I must now remember to replenish my chemical stock for my Pyrocat HD.)

Ken

Absolutely lovely tones in that image, Ken. Nothing wrong with good 'ole D76, IMO.

View attachment 1999

'She and Me ' just spent some garden time providing some further 'support-help' for the two 'climbing' Clematis up against the back deck that have been 'extending their growth' by 6 to 8 inches every day. This morning, I decided that 'further' assistance was required to keep them 'upright' and noticed the first flower was 'in need' of having its photograph made. Got the Linhof out.. but (unfortunately) not quite the room/space to 'plant' the tripod 'properly' and decided to 'try' (once again) a hand-held exposure somewhat 'close' but not quite macro with the 240mm using one of my last ten sheets of Tri-X. Spot meter reading indicated
125th @ f.11 (using a white with texture and I 'guestimated' one f-stop for extension (i was not 'ready' to go and hunt for a tape
and and exposed measure 1/60 at 11. Developed with D76 in BTZS tubes as 'Normal' (I must now remember to replenish my chemical stock for my Pyrocat HD.)

Ken
beautiful shot. tones are excellent. very nice delicate flower

Absolutely lovely tones in that image, Ken. Nothing wrong with good 'ole D76, IMO.

I'm 'somewhat' in agreement.. but 'somehow, I still prefer 'home mixed' Pyrocat HD which has 'proven' to be 'less expensive' (and IMHO, to be an 'easier/less expesive' alternative to 'commercial developers when house-hold income is somewhat more 'restrictive' in one's 'retirement years

Ken

PS are the members 'aware' that you have the 5x7 inch GGs for 'anyone in need' ?

I'm 'somewhat' in agreement.. but 'somehow, I still prefer 'home mixed' Pyrocat HD which has 'proven' to be 'less expensive' (and IMHO, to be an 'easier/less expesive' alternative to 'commercial developers when house-hold income is somewhat more 'restrictive' in one's 'retirement years

Ken

PS are the members 'aware' that you have the 5x7 inch GGs for 'anyone in need' ?

I home mix all my developers, stop, and fix. Pyrocat-HD is certainly cheap enough to make, but it's 1) toxic, and 2) I've had issues over the years with stability. D-76 isn't without its own "issues", too. For example, the pH can rise during storage resulting in increased negative contrast. Therefore, I mix only what I need the day before I plan to use it; ergo, no storage. Nowadays, I'll only store Pyrocat for about 6 months. If not used within that timeframe, it gets dumped. Since I mix relatively small quantities, cost is not an issue.

Yeah, these retirement years can put a damper on photographic pursuits. I cringe a little every time I need to buy a box of 10x8 film! ;)

5x7 gg? I have none; must be the wrong Alan.

edited

5x7 gg? I have none; must be the wrong Alan.
[/QUOTE]

You are 'correct'... my apologies... I did have the 'wrong' Alan ( methinks I was in too much of a hurry)
I had 'mailed' a box of 5x7 GGs to to "Allan.. the boss-man as a 'donation' for any of the members who may be 'in need of a 'new' GG after 'cutting down to 4x5 inches. O'm not sure of the current prices in the UK.. but 'over here in "Cold country" Canada they seem to have gone 'though the roof 'over the past few years.. and the 'quality' of those available on eBay is really 'poor'.. at ridiculous prices

ken

Clematis6.jpg

A few feet away from my other Clematis on our back deck 'railing' we have a different variety that produces many more (in magnitude but with MUCH smaller flower heads of a dark purplish colour and 'yellow' stamens such that the 'contrast' in the final image is considerably higher (to attract more flying insect attention?) This time,.. I set up the tripod one leg on the steps and two on the 'deck' floor. Tmax100 behind the 150 mm. Sironar and developed in "full' BTZS tubes with 'last' of my D76 for 'normal development.
Methinks I should get out there again and do a "Q&D' iPhone exposure (and forward to my computer) should anyone like to see the 'differences' in both color and floret "population" between the two varieties.

Ken

PS.. Just went and 'done it' with the iPhone,, and remembered the "rare' 3rd, (somewhat rare bell headed blue 'variety) in 'her' flower area

Last edited:
3 Clematis.jpg
The back deck ..(facing west into the rising sun) where we have three varieties of Clematis (two of which are climbing up to create somewhat 'more of a 'privacy shield'. She Who Must be Obeyed 'claims' it to be her 'cacophony of Clematis' in 'answer' to a 'herd of cattle'/flock of sheep'/a forest of trees'...and a murder of crows, Left and right are the 'climbing' varieties while the small 'clump' in the center are of the somewhat 'rarer' (non-climbing) variety with blue 'bell-like' flowers

FP4 behind my Rodenstock 150mm on Linhof with the required adjustment for 'slight' bellow extension developed in Pyrocat HD as "normal" in BTZS tubes

Back