LF Advice needed!

TomM

Hi everyone,

I am looking to get a camera with quite specific specs - namely, one with as rigid a front element as possible. I work a lot with multiple exposures, specifically doing sort of animations where it’s essential that the camera doesn’t move between frames. Of course, a sturdy tripod helps a lot, but I’ve found that some LF cameras seem to have a lot less rigidity to them than others and can shift fractionally when re-cocking the lens. So, aside from fixing things with a liberal application of ferrous oxide, any particular brands or models that I should consider? Ideally quite portable; rail cameras seem to tend to have a bit of flex to then when I’ve used them before.

Ian Grant

John Blakemore uses an MPP MicroTechnical MkVII and he does a lot of multiple exposure work. If you don't need front swing a MkIII or MkVI would be as good but don't have Graflok backs (except late MkVi's). I have 2 MKIII's and a MKVII and they'd definitely be ideal far better than my wooden Wista 45DX, it's had heavy use and while it was OK a few years ago I wouldn't like to do multiple exposures with it these days.

Ian

TomM

Thanks Ian! I will look into them; swing backs are not entirely necessary for what I’m doing, am mostly after good quality negatives for large hand prints.

Ian Grant

The MkIII and MkVI do have rear movement, just like Linhof Technikas.

1588165916382.png

This is a MkIII before I restored it essentially a good clean, I actually took it to bits then washed it (except the bellows), before I recovered it Maroon.

1588168021904.png

Rather a dull overcast day, this acme with most of a second MkIII completely in bits that's now dark blue and rebuilt as well :D

Ian

David M

A 5x4 enlarger with an adaptor for a darkslide might meet your needs. It might be listed as a copying device. If you can fit your lens into a self-cocking shutter, that might help, too.

Ian Grant

Look up Rostrum camera.

But an MPP with a Protor Press shutter, the shutter is cocked as you trigger the cable release, as David mentions.

Ian