New55 Instant film

Nick Rowland

Popular Poster
Hi,

Has anyone tried the New55 PN400 instant film? I have just risked buying a pack and would like to know if there are any tips before I launch into my first image.

Thanks
Nick

I've used the 100 stuff, but IMO the overall quality was lacking. It could be that I shot so much Polaroid Type 55 "back in the day" that I was just expecting the New55 product to work as well; or, better since you get both a usable negative and positive. Alas, that wasn't the case. I got a few acceptable images, but most suffered from chemical spread issues or mottling. And, perhaps it was the earlier pods used, but after a couple of boxes (only 10 shots) the rollers and area around the rollers was quite messy with goo.

Please report back your experience and post some images.

Please report back your experience and post some images.

Ok Alan, I was hoping it was close to the old Polaroid product. I'll let you know how it goes. I have a feeling there will be a choice between a decent paper image or a decent negative. I only have one box of 5 so it won't be an exhaustive test. The cost is too high for regular use, £77 for the pack and shipping + £21 VAT is a tad rich :)

The cost is too high for regular use, £77 for the pack and shipping + £21 VAT is a tad rich :)

Yep, the cost was another reason I stopped using it. At the time, I was still buying perfectly good Polaroid Type 55 for quite a bit less per shot. I just cracked open my last box recently and now have only 3 sheets left.

Polaroid Type 55 still pops up but I think it is now a bit too risky buying it, probably dried up or stored badly. This purchase is just pure curiosity, apparently the PN400 uses TMax for the negs. If the cost comes down a lot I may use it more often but that won't happen unless it gets economies of scale, I suspect that is unlikely.

Polaroid Type 55 still pops up but I think it is now a bit too risky buying it, probably dried up or stored badly. This purchase is just pure curiosity, apparently the PN400 uses TMax for the negs. If the cost comes down a lot I may use it more often but that won't happen unless it gets economies of scale, I suspect that is unlikely.

Not that you'd be able to find any nowadays, but late 2008 (and I'm talking Nov/Dec) and anything in 2009 is generally still very usable for Polaroid Type 55. I had several boxes in this range of dates and most images were perfectly fine; occasionally, I'd have a missing corner. But, that's an academic discussion in 2020. Even if you could find some Type 55 in this date range, it would be dreadfully expensive!

New55 has been $75US per 5-sheet box ever since it was introduced. Given the fact that they're piecing this material together from pods and, I believe, paper supplied by the 20x24 (I think) folks, I doubt we'll ever see reduced pricing. IMO, what we'll probably see is this material disappear from the market...which is a real shame.

New55 has been $75US per 5-sheet box ever since it was introduced. Given the fact that they're piecing this material together from pods and, I believe, paper supplied by the 20x24 (I think) folks, I doubt we'll ever see reduced pricing. IMO, what we'll probably see is this material disappear from the market...which is a real shame.

I think you are probably right, it disappeared in 2018 (I think) and has been resurrected only recently. I haven't seen much evidence of folk using it, so possibly a short-lived reappearance.

I have an unopened box of late vintage original Type 55 in the fridge, just waiting for the right warm sunny day to take it out.

Back