Poppies field

John Esco

A stroll along the Grand Union Canal couple of days ago and we found a nice area full of blooming poppies. The little one, Dia, was accompanying me so I decided to take her a picture among the poppies which she loves. She was pretty tired and took a seat to catch her breath.
camera: Wista 45N
film: Fomapan 100
dev: Rodinal 1+50 for 9 min
018_4x5_Dia poppies.jpg

Ian Grant

Nice image, interesting to compare it to your images on Fomapan 400. I was sent a few sheets of the 400 (by Keith a member here) to try last year and found it very lack lustre compared to Fomapan 100 & 200, Keith felt the same about it. I've got used to shooting HP5 which is superb and I found the difference in quality quite startling.

Fomapan 100 & 200 are both excellent films but need a little taming to control the contrast however the results are on a par Ilford and Kodak films.

Ian

John Esco

Didn’t try the 200 yet but I intend to. Ilford hp5 - my choice for any work I do in medium format it is a bit too pricey to me at the moment.
However I have few shots on Foma 400 from couple of days ago which I’ll develop today and post them here later

Ian Grant

John, I shoot Fomapan 200 at 100EI, and Fomapan 100 at 50EI, my development times are 3/4 those for Delta 100 & HP5. With LF I only use HP5 for handheld work or with moving subjects.

In terms of price a box of 50 sheets of Fomapan is under half the price of Delta 100 or HP5, At under £30 for 50 sheets Fomapan 100 compared £39 for 25 sheets Ilford FP4. When you shoot larger still the savings are even more important I've so far only used Fortepan and EFKE for 10x8 and still ahve a bit left, I'll switch to Fomapan 200 when I re-stock :D

Ian