Sturminster Newton Mill (again)

Carl Hall

Test photos from the Nagaoka yesterday evening at Sturminster Newton Mill which is about 30 mins from home. I'd planned to take a wide angle landscape of the mill, the river and the grass on the other side, but when I arrived I parked too close to the mill without thinking and when I got into position my van was in the frame :mad: I was too lazy to walk round and move it again so I just took some closer photos and practiced with the movements.

I do love using backwards front tilt to isolate subjects. Not sure if that's the right terminology for the movement mind!

Nagaoka 4x5
Fomapan 100
Developed in HC-110 dilution B for 6 minutes

16 seconds at f/45. No movements

Sturminster Newton Mill
by Carl Hall, on Flickr

2 seconds at f/8. Maximum amount of backwards front tilt I could get away with due to the bellows

Sturminster Newton Mill
by Carl Hall, on Flickr

Last edited:

martin henson

Admin
Staff member
Nice Carl, it would be helpful if you could include in your post some tech details such as film and exposure settings.

Regards
Martin

Carl Hall

Ahh sorry Martin, I usually put the tech details but I forgot this time. I've added them now.

Alan9940

I just love the sparkling grays in that first image, Carl. And, that path invites me to stroll down and see what's around the corner. ;) Nice job!

Carl Hall

Am I right in thinking your metered time was in the region of 2-3 seconds to give you 16 seconds with reciprocity
I think it was 8 seconds and I just added a stop for reciprocity failure. I haven't found a reciprocity chart for Fomapan so I have no idea if that's enough though! Seemed to come out ok though so I'm pretty happy.

Carl Hall

Carl, you do know there's a reciprocity chart for Foma 100 posted in the Resources section of these boards, right?
I do now! :D Thanks.

Didn't realise Fomapan was so bad for reciprocity!! My film should have been underexposed by around 2 stops (16 secs instead of 59), but it came out ok... weird!

Alan9940

Carl, great!! Glad you got it. Yeah, Fomapan is reportedly bad with reciprocity, but as I'm sure you know reciprocity is not linear. Therefore, I always wonder how much noticeable difference one would see at 16 secs vs 59 secs? Add into it the desired image tonality--that path image of yours needs to be dark and moody, IMO--and who knows what the actual "correct" exposure is? If you nailed it, and IMO you did, who really cares what's correct? I don't usually do any long exposures, but if I did you can be sure I'd bracket a bit; even with 4x5. ;)