The Wife and LF

Ian Grant

My wife has decided that because of the lock down she wants to start shooting LF, now not just a regular LF camera rather one of my early wood & brass cameras.

Not sure this will be fun :D I've decide manual use of a DSLR first with a separate meter, then 35mm or 120, before 5x4. How many days will it last :)

Last time she was into film she thought my 19mm Tamron lens was the bees knees, insisted on using it all the time, when she got her prints she wondered why everything was so small.

Ian

Alan9940

Hmm...stuck inside for how long now? And, teaching a spouse something new? Yeah, that sounds like "fun!" :D

David M

Please keep us updated on this adventure.
If I may venture a suggestion on your plan...
The biggest difference between LF and other forms seems to be the use of a tripod. I know some people use LF cameras in the hand. I've done it myself and the results were better than expected, but in general, using a tripod constantly is the major change in working habits. I don't think it's a question of progressively larger film sizes. After all, many "pro" 35mm and DSLR cameras are bigger, heavier and lumpier than some medium format cameras. Certainly the folding ones, up to 6x9, are very compact and light and can give excellent results.
Please ignore all this if it threatens to come between man and wife in any way. You're a brave man. So is she. (well... you know what i mean.)

KenS

Hmm...stuck inside for how long now? And, teaching a spouse something new? Yeah, that sounds like "fun!" :D
I'm not sure why the long remembered "Danger."... Will Robinson... Danger!!! comes into my mind

Methinks it might be time to invest in a second 4X5 ( tripod, film holders etc.) for her 'exclusive' use use.

Ken

aka....'Bad' Ken

Ian Grant

Interest has waned for the time being mainly because her Turkish friends are at home and online all day, tougher lock downs than here in the UK.

The issue is she thinks she can be up and running fast with an 1880s plate camera using book form holders, there is acamera allocated an un-named Half plate I restored last Summer with an 8" approx Rapid Rectilinear lens, I'll have to make Waterhouse stops and fit a shutter (I have plenty that I can choose from). For simplicity I'll make a n adapter so she can use modern 5x4 DDS film holders.

If she wanted to use a modern 5x4 camera then that wouldn't be an issue, I have one or two, or isn't it more like like double figures :D Something funky like a 5x4 Marion Soho Reflex with it's 8" TTH Cooke lens would be a possibility but thanks Ken you've given me a great idea . . . . . . . . . . . .

The 5x4 Soho Reflex is quite large (and I need to fix the shutter) but perhaps a smaller Thornton Pickard Ruby Reflex, I have a few to restore and she could start with my own with it RF back.

On the other hand she likes my German 9x12 cameras and film is readily available.

Ian