To boldly go....into 4x5

KenS

This old 'idiot' would like to know of just how many "GOOD/GREAT hand-held large format negative are exposed over those made with the camera on a tripod? Yes... I have had experience 'both ways'... but much prefer the 'steadiness' and contemplative manner in which the exposures are made when using a tripod... you become more careful to 'check' for focus, DOF, and 'verticality'. Personally, I find/found that I made better images when I had the camera mounted on a steady 'support' after being 'allowed/able to 'double check' all settings.. and being much more 'satisfied' with the final image that in 'all honestly' took but a few more minutes of 'pre-exposure effort.

Ken

Alan9940

Well...this old 'idiot' is right there with ya buddy! I've been shooting LF for nearly 40 years and never, nadda, not even once shot any LF camera handheld; even the brief stint when I owned a Crown Graphic. I much prefer the more methodical process of working the camera on a tripod. Heck, I don't even like ball heads for LF!! ;)

KenS

AND... you don't have to go to home, fall into bed bed still thinking "DAMMIT... I wish I HAD made the effort and 'put up' with the inconvenience of humphing that 'extra bit of hardware'... yes I HAVE experienced the lack of effort but it was a long time ago... I screwed-up but ONCE... but and.... learned a 'powerful lesson' for my 'LAZINESS/STUPIDITY'

Ken