Took a punt on some lenses and actually won

moggi1964

Popular Poster
Chiswick had a timed auction and I decided to pop a silly bid on three Dallmeyer lenses. It's the fault of @Ian Grant who showed me some Dallmeyer lenses when I last visited and whilst these are not in the same league as his I figured they were worth a punt. Sounds like some cleanup will be required so they could just be paperweights.

Anyway, surprised to hell my £25 bid won though of course I still need to pay fees, VAT and shipping but still not too bad I think. I'll be looking at how I might use them; they will work on my 5x7 I believe. Maybe I can find a way to use them on my 4x5 too given I have the TP shutter.

Anyway, here are the details, happy to hear any thoughts from fellow LF'rs even one's that tell me I just paid twice their worth.

51c91bee-f700-47d2-a95b-b0a200ea7e86.jpg
ff64e197-0ac7-4271-a008-b0a200ea7f2f.jpg
Three Dallmeyer Serac 8 inch F4.5 lenses.

Lens 1: minor wear to the paint, debris and fungus marks, aperture blades are slightly brassed but clean. #472971

Lens 2: moderate wear to the paint, dust and debris, aperture blades are heavily brassed with oil. #472960

Lens 3: minor wear to the paint, debris and separation, aperture blades are clean. #468258

I'd buy one off you except I have far too many 8" or quite similar Focal length LF lenses :D

Yes they cover 7x5 with room for movements.

Ian

You would need to get a flange to attach one to a lens board, I'm assuming the lenses don't have them, It will be a fairly common size, I may have one in my box of flanges.

Ian

You would need to get a flange to attach one to a lens board, I'm assuming the lenses don't have them, It will be a fairly common size, I may have one in my box of flanges.

Ian
Thanks Ian, let me know if you have three to spare as I'll likely keep the best lens for myself and sell the other two on to recoup some money. Shipping cost was £43 :( so £76 total. Not too bad I suppose.

Hey @Ian Grant the lenses arrived today and are much better than described. Did you have a chance to check for flanges?

Looks to be 63mm diameter, Ian.

I don't have any thread gauges but am hopeful they're standard.

Cheers

You need 2½" flange, there was an 1880s R.P.S. standard for flange sizes not all companies adopted it, but Dallmeyer, TT&H, Ross and Wray did use it. I have 4 flanges that night fit.

Ian

Should I send you a lens to test the fit, Ian? That way if it works you can drop the lens and three flanges in the box and send it back.

Thanks for looking into this for me. Cheers.

Following up on this, a big thanks to Ian for finding me a flange that fit.

Also, can someone tell me what the T.V. means on two of the lenses?

It may be the transmission value whichusually isn't of importance for photographers but for film makers.

Back