Taking stock

Ian Grant

Very Active Poster
Today I've been taking stock of my 5x4 film :D

Fomapan 200 (w EDU 200) 3 full boxes 50 sheets + more tha half a 4th ex 2009 & 2014
Fomapan 100 ex 2014 a few sheets

EFKE Pl25 1¾ 50 sheet boxes ex 2014

Delta 100 3 25 sheet boxews ex 2008 (frozen) & 2010 currently using and perfect.
FP4 2 25 sheet boxes 2009 (frozen)

HP5 1 100 sheet box ex Dec 2017 3 and a bit 25 sheet July 2017 but I've only just finished some 2010 dated HP5 and that was perfect

At one time films carried much longer expiry dates but ISO 9002 meant the dates had to be short around 2 years this is moreto do with stock rotation thna keeping properties. The slower the film the better it keps.

Ian

Nice little stockpile there Ian. Do you have any projects lined up for 2018

Hi Ian, yes a lot of projects. There's almost as much Ilford MF film as well, I was given a lot last year inc quite a lot of 5x4 E6 which I passed on to a femle UK LF user, the 35mm went elsewhere (all for free). All the film was frozen and the donor wanted it put to good use. Most of the Foma came from a friend in the US.

2018 will hopefully be a year where I draw many projects together revisit some I've neglected. It's time to exhibit, get published etc.

Ian

I have noticed you have a variety of photographs made of trains in the sheds, is this a project or just a personal interest

I have noticed you have a variety of photographs made of trains in the sheds, is this a project or just a personal interest

This was a project I began in the early 1990's, it went on hold when I was offered a large exhibition of my Black Country work at an art gallery which took place 1994 and needed total commitment, plus applications for Arts funding etc. I've revisited it ocassionallyonly a few shots are in engine sheds :D but have had other major projects on the go as well particularly my workm in Greece/Turkey, I had to put 2 large exhibitions on hold to return to the UK to care for my mother who had dementia, and now there's other familt health issues.

So 2018 is a year of re-grouping, and I may have some help from an unexpected source (someone I bumped into by chance on Christmasday).

I also have a lot of work never printed or shown to anyone.

Ian

I had to buy another freezer to store my stockpile! :) Can't remember all of what's in there, but naming a few items I have: 2 boxes of 10x8 Tri-X, 3 boxes of 10x8 Acros 100, 1 box of 10x8 Foma 100 (50 sheet), 1 box of 10x8 Velvia 50, 2 boxes of 5x4 Acros 100 Readyloads, a couple boxes of some kind of 5x4 Kodak Readyload color film, 2 boxes of 5x4 Tri-X (100 sheet each), a few other open boxes of 5x4 B&W film, about 45 rolls of EFKE 25 (35mm), and a bunch of 120 rolls of various B&W and color film. Whew!! And, that's off the top-o-da-head!! :)

Sounds like a lot...and it is...but, at least half of it was given to me by another photographer who, unfortunately, had aged to the point that he couldn't get out with his cameras any longer. At 65, I'm hoping that's quite a way off for me! ;)

I didn't get around to the 10x8 Alan :D or the 7x5. About 5 50 sheets of EDU 200 7x5 and there's 5 50 sheet boxes of 10x8 Fortepan 200 and Efke PL25. I also have quarter plate and 9x12.

It'll be interesting to see how good the Fomapan200 is again as it's a while since I shot any, not sure if I have in 5x4 0r 7x5 before, I just finished some Fomapan100 (well it's in the DDS).

Ian

All I can say is that I wish I had your freezer, Ian! :D I would dearly love to have some 10x8 Fortepan on hand! I shot quite a bit of that film back in the day.

Oh, and not film, but I was digging around the bottom of the freezer the other day and I totally forgot that I have a box of 14x11 Polywarmtone in there! Will be using that only for special images!! ;)

Alan, I've never frozen film. I keep mine in a cool place as recommended by Ilford :D i have 10 rolls of 120 Delta 3200, and 12 rolls SFX in the bottom of a refrigerator though.

When I lived in Turkey it could reach over 40º C in the summer but I kept my film in a bedroom drawer (ground floor apartment) and it never went above about 22-24º. Even my HP5 kept ok and that was two short-dated 100 sheet boxes I'd bought from someone in the US, they were just out of date when I began them and they lasted a decade. I never shot HP5 here in the UK as I prefer slow films, I've gone back to it to shoot steam locomotives where I do need speed :D

Ian

Ian, well, living here on the sun (desert southwest of the USA) my indoor ambient temps can easily hit 27-28° during the summer months; which, for us, is about 6 months of the year! ;) Film would probably be OK, but why take chances? I mix most of my own chemistry, too, and keep all the raw chemicals in a small fridge at about 10°. Also, keep some Polaroid and Fuji FP-3000B in there.

Ian, well, living here on the sun (desert southwest of the USA) my indoor ambient temps can easily hit 27-28° during the summer months; which, for us, is about 6 months of the year! ;) Film would probably be OK, but why take chances? I mix most of my own chemistry, too, and keep all the raw chemicals in a small fridge at about 10°. Also, keep some Polaroid and Fuji FP-3000B in there.

My ambient temperature was in that range and over 8 months of teh tear, what surprised me was just how much cooler a floor level drawer was (and still is), what surprised me the most was when I painted the apartment and the vast shift in temperature between ground level and near the ceiling a good 20º +.

Ian

[QUOTE="Alan9940, post: 3500, member: 5"Oh, and not film, but I was digging around the bottom of the freezer the other day and I totally forgot that I have a box of 14x11 Polywarmtone in there! Will be using that only for special images!! ;)[/QUOTE]

I'm down to about three packets of Polywarmtone 20x16 and 24x20 I think, like my Fortepan 200 these were from the last production runs at Forte produced for Mirko at Fotoimpex. It'll get used finishing one of my projects.

I've switched to Ilford MG Warmtone FB for future projects.

paper1.jpg

I also have significant sized(length) rolls of 5"RC paper.

Ian

[QUOTE="Ian Grant, post: 3509, member: 426]
I've switched to Ilford MG Warmtone FB for future projects.

paper1.jpg

I also have significant sized(length) rolls of 5"RC paper.

Ian[/QUOTE]

Ian, sorry about re-posting your enlarger pic...I couldn't figure out how to remove it from my quoted reply.

Anyway, I, too, have pretty much switched to Ilford MGWT that I developed primarily in ID-78. Am curious what your preferred paper developer is for this paper?

Thanks!

Alan

Alan, I use ID-78 with Ilfrord MG Warmtone although I've modifed the formulae to match the current Harman Warmtone developer and Neutol WA. Just increased concentration and instead of Sodium Carbonate I use Potassium Carbonate and Hydroxide. I worked as a Photo chemist/Emulsion manufacturer so have some commercial insights :D.

I assume you are using the correct amount of Bromide in ID-78 and not the misprint from the Photo Lab Index taht was published in all US publications for many years until Steve Anchel;'s Darkroom Cookbook 3rd Ed.

Ian

Ian, I'm using 4.5g bromide per litre. Is that correct? Would you post your ID-78 recipe?

Thank you.

Alan

Hi Alan, yes the 4.5g/l KBr is correct, the Photo Lab index had a typo and listed 0.4 which means not a warm-tone developer and that mistake was copied by numerous US books and websites.

The concentrated version I use is here, I use 1+9. Sodium Carbonate is not a s soluble as Potassium cCarbonate so no good in liquid concentrates, the principle is used by Ilford, Agfa (now Adox etc), Kodak. Agfa used a slightly higher proportion of Hydroxide to Potassium Carbonate in Neutol WA otherwise it's essentially the same formulae as ID-78 (conc).

Harman Warmtone developer is just a concentrated version of their older pre-packed powdered Warm tone developer which was ID-78.

Ian

Last edited:
Thank you, Ian. How long will the concentrated version last, if stored in brown glass bottles at some reasonable ambient temp?

Alan

It'll keep a couple of years +, I use HD plastic (ex Ilford) bottles.

Ian

Back