Flash meter recommendation - Shepherd 99 any good?

YorkshireBloke

Popular Poster
Registered User
Joined
Dec 20, 2017
Messages
151
Hi all,

My crazy project to use old Strobe flash equipment almost gifted to me, is now ready for the next stage.

Bringing the huge amount of kit (mentioned in earlier posts) took 3 x journeys London to Yorkshire and 12+13/10 is the first time that I can try it out in a relatives double garage, where it is stored.

I need a flash meter to conduct early tests and my photography pals aren't users of flash meters...

On eBay there are Shepherd meters for under £15, described as working 'cos the lights come on... Accuracy isn't mentioned.

Does anyone have a meter they don't use/need/want, or can someone chip in with suggestions please?

Would anyone think taking a chance on the Shepherd meter is a reasonable gamble?

Robert
 
I'd look for a Gossen Pro/Six F, very versatile daylight and flash metering, and you can get the spot/tele attachment.

Ian
 
The Gossen Lunasix f is an great meter and has built-in flash capability BUT it hasn't got a pc socket so the meter cannot trigger the flash. Therefore, somehow/someone needs to be able to trigger the flash while the meter is in position. Not always handy.

The Gossen Profisix, on the other hand, needs a separate flash attachment head to be able to both take flash meter readings and trigger the flash via a pc cable. The cost of both the meter and flash head attachment will be noticeably more.

For flash work, I know I prefer a meter with BOTH the corded AND cordless option.
There are more meter options available with flash capability.
 
The Gossen Lunasix f is an great meter and has built-in flash capability BUT it hasn't got a pc socket so the meter cannot trigger the flash. Therefore, somehow/someone needs to be able to trigger the flash while the meter is in position. Not always handy.
I actually find it an advantage not using a cable, I always use remote triggers anyway. I don't lie constantly switching cables over.

There's another factor with older studio flash equipment, the trigger voltages can damage modern electronics. Safe to use the remote triggers, transmitter/receiver.

Ian
 
Never thought of that.

I was indeed thinking along the lines of a sync lead to the flash and hopefully the other heads will have slave units.

Perhaps some pic's of the actual units showing the rear control panel or strobe interface will help along with some advice on which remote triggers, transmitter/receivers for his specific kit.
 
When I did use studio flash a Shepherd meter was fine to get the exposure but it , like even the most sophisticated and
expensive flash meter could not get rid of the shadows I could create.....
So I would advise getting something that can remote trigger your flashes to avoid trip hazard leads and equipment hazzard voltages.
Then use digital (a modern version of polaroid). to check the lighting/exposure guided by the meter, at least till you can learn the lighting/gear as in my opinion it's not easy
 
I actually find it an advantage not using a cable, I always use remote triggers anyway. I don't lie constantly switching cables over.

There's another factor with older studio flash equipment, the trigger voltages can damage modern electronics. Safe to use the remote triggers, transmitter/receiver.

Ian
This safety element is very convincing Ian...
 
Hey robert. Congratulations on the gifted kit, lucky bugger lol.

I have a sekonic L558 which I’ve had for just over 11 years. For studio work it’s gold. It’s been super consistent and allows me to do lighting ratios in 10ths!!! Loads of functions which help you with strobes. You can even have cinematography settings!!!

Oh it also has a function to calculate when you mix ambient light with strobes. It’s one of the best £150 pounds I have spent just over 11 years ago.
 
Back
Top