Ilford FP4 Metering For Zone IV

Any reason why you switched over to the tubes from the SP445 Alan

Mostly because I can develop more than one sheet of film, simultaneously. After some calculating of the timings, I've found I can run 3 tubes at once.

As a follow-up to my earlier post regarding a visual difference in the negatives between Foma 100 and Arista EDU.Ultra 100, a proof print of both negs on the same sheet of paper reveals that the Arista film is, in fact, about 1/2 grade (maybe, a bit less) softer than the Foma film. Film speed appears to be the same. For me, they are close enough that I wouldn't hesitate buying the Arista film which is quite a bit cheaper than the Foma.

Mostly because I can develop more than one sheet of film, simultaneously. After some calculating of the timings, I've found I can run 3 tubes at once.

Although I am assuming there shouldn't be, have you noticed any difference in the negatives developed in tubes vs the SP445

Although I am assuming there shouldn't be, have you noticed any difference in the negatives developed in tubes vs the SP445

Not as far as what the EMA technique provides. However, and this issue is unrelated to EMA, I have occasionally had very faint lines (I have the original style film holders) on the neg and/or small marks along the film edge where the film slips under the tabs with the SP445. Negs come out of the tubes revealing beautiful even development.

Not as far as what the EMA technique provides. However, and this issue is unrelated to EMA, I have occasionally had very faint lines (I have the original style film holders) on the neg and/or small marks along the film edge where the film slips under the tabs with the SP445. Negs come out of the tubes revealing beautiful even development.

I watched Steves video showing the construction of the tubes and I have to say it does look interesting.

I watched Steves video showing the construction of the tubes and I have to say it does look interesting.

If you ever decide to build a few for yourself, make sure you follow the most recent design which uses the Titan Mechanical Test Plug; no leaking. That said, I understand that getting the grey Schedule 40 electrical conduit can be difficult in Europe. If you purchased the EMA premium video series, Steve will provide you 3 tubes for $50US + shipping. That's not a bad deal.

Back