kale

John Escoe

Popular Poster
Continuing my lockdown project idea of shooting simply vegetables from the kitchen I took a couple of shots of a nice kale cabbage. The texture of the kale leaves is just mind-blowing. Had few Ilford delta 100 sheets from a friend so I have decided to use them thinking about the incredible detail and tonality this film is capable of rendering. There's nothing special about this photograph but only an exercise and opportunity to practice with my new LF toy, in the same time feeding my obsession for textures and shapes.
Wista 45N; Fujinon 210mm; Ilford delta 100; Rodinal 1+50 for 14mins.

059_4x5_kale_02.jpg

Nice one. Curly Kale is not so commonly eaten in most of the UK compared to scotland, my father used to grow iton his vegatble patch and myy grandfather and uncle grew it commercially. Makes me think of vegetable soup :D

Delta 100 has been my main MF and LF film for about 13 years and is a superb film, I get great consistent results with it. While I've not used it in Rodinal it should be an excellent combibation as Rodinal works well with T grain (Tmax) and similar films like Delta 100 &400.

Ian

Nice one. Curly Kale is not so commonly eaten in most of the UK compared to scotland, my father used to grow iton his vegatble patch and myy grandfather and uncle grew it commercially. Makes me think of vegetable soup :D

Delta 100 has been my main MF and LF film for about 13 years and is a superb film, I get great consistent results with it. While I've not used it in Rodinal it should be an excellent combibation as Rodinal works well with T grain (Tmax) and similar films like Delta 100 &400.

Ian
great film indeed. I used it on 120 few times, great results. however I was always fascinated by the grain of HP5 that's why I choose that as my main for years.

I mostly eat it stir fry with noodles or fresh as part of salads ;)

Nice image, John! And, beautiful tonality. Being on a whole food plant-based diet, my wife and I eat quite a bit of kale; actually, having started on this diet a little over a year ago I've eaten vegetables that I rarely ate before and/or had never even heard of! :) Oh, and the film...I use a lot of Delta 100 in MF and a bit in LF. My favorite developer for it is Clayton F-76+; something magical about that combo IMO.

Nice image, John! And, beautiful tonality. Being on a whole food plant-based diet, my wife and I eat quite a bit of kale; actually, having started on this diet a little over a year ago I've eaten vegetables that I rarely ate before and/or had never even heard of! :) Oh, and the film...I use a lot of Delta 100 in MF and a bit in LF. My favorite developer for it is Clayton F-76+; something magical about that combo IMO.
thanks for appreciation Alan. I quit meat too, starting Jan this year I know exactly what you're talking about. :).
Never heard of Clayton F-76. My poison is clearly Rodinal, which seems to be a perfect match as Ian suggested above. Ilford 5x4 damn expansive tho...

Continuing my lockdown project idea of shooting simply vegetables from the kitchen I took a couple of shots of a nice kale cabbage. The texture of the kale leaves is just mind-blowing. Had few Ilford delta 100 sheets from a friend so I have decided to use them thinking about the incredible detail and tonality this film is capable of rendering. There's nothing special about this photograph but only an exercise and opportunity to practice with my new LF toy, in the same time feeding my obsession for textures and shapes.
Wista 45N; Fujinon 210mm; Ilford delta 100; Rodinal 1+50 for 14mins.

View attachment 2045
Nicely done

The word "kale' reminds me of the acres I 'chopped down" by hand..(as a student doing my 'practicum before going to Auchincruive (SRUC ..Ayr campus) and hauled the 'harvest' back for feeding the herd of cows that 'would 'do anything' for their 'evening' meal
'delicacy'.We even had a couple of cows that could (and would) jump a 5 foot high barbed wire fence for an 'early' feeding

Ken

Nicely done

The word "kale' reminds me of the acres I 'chopped down" by hand..(as a student doing my 'practicum before going to Auchincruive (SRUC ..Ayr campus) and hauled the 'harvest' back for feeding the herd of cows that 'would 'do anything' for their 'evening' meal
'delicacy'. We even had a couple of cows that could (and would) jump a 5 foot high barbed wire fence for an 'early' feeding.

Ken

Back