Long overdue run out for my Walker Titan SF at Stowe Landscape Gardens.

Taken with a 90mm Super Angulon, with 2x Yellow Filter. Film was Ilford Delta 100 (rated at 50) developed in Rodinal @ 1 to 25. Exposure was meant to be 5 seconds at f32. I metered with a Pentax Spot Meter and 18 Percent Grey Card which gave a 2 second exposure, doubled to 4 seconds for the filter and extended to 5 seconds using a reciprocity app, but a sticky shutter gave me nearer 8 seconds. Must get the lens serviced, it has only been going for 35 years without any attention.

Fine picture, Fine gardens, with interesting histories all around. Very fine camera, too.
You don't seem to have suffered any harm from those three extra seconds. Who could complain about a smidgeon more shadow detail?

Have we said "welcome"?

...and what's a "Leica"?

Last edited:
Fantastic! And no, the extra time hasn't done any harm at all.

May I ask, because I’m curious, about your metering technique? A spot meter and a grey card seems to be combining two methods. Is there something I don’t know?
As we can see, it seems to work well.

I usually just use a Weston Meter and point it at the grey card (genuine Kodak 18% version) and take my chances from there, but I only had the spot meter with me. The real star of the show was the light - as we know without that we are all stuffed. But it would seem that even a blind squirrel finds a nut occasionally. I have been reading up on the matter of late and hope to revert to proper methodology as I take to the bye ways this spring with a lot more LF activity. Meter for the shadows and dev for the highlights taking into account the contrast range of the scene to go for N or N+1 or N-1 with known film and dev. and a consistent technique. I know the theory, but unlike Martin Henson of this Parish have not yet put it consistently into practice. Watch this space. :) .

May I ask, because I’m curious, about your metering technique? A spot meter and a grey card seems to be combining two methods. Is there something I don’t know?
As we can see, it seems to work well.
See my note David... forgot to use the reply button .

Why not the Invercone? For scenes of ordinary contrast, it works well and is more portable. Like the grey card, you have to be careful to point it in the right direction. You may already know all this already, and more.

Yes indeed , I do use that as well, but I am planning to train myself at long last to take on the zone system. As we know this can be done with a Weston but is more convenient with a spot meter.

What I was thinking is that your grey-card-and-spotmeter combination is really a two-part incident meter. Don't let me dissuade you from using a spot meter. Even if all else fails, it greatly impresses the bystanders.

Back