The 'Archaic print processes

KenS

Popular Poster
Out of sheer curiosity.. may inquire as to the number of members/contributors who print using the 'archaic print processes?
In my 'retirement years.. and 'surviving' on my pension income.. I'm now finding the cost of 'commercial' B/W print papers have become somewhat 'outside' what I feel I can 'afford' and now have taken to using the 'archaic print processesprint on good quality "water-colour paint' papers. There is now only one photographic 'outlet' in town but they do not 'carry' Kodak or Ilford B/W papers but they can.. and are willing to have it shipped down from one of their stores (a two hour drive each way to the north)

Ken

What do you call "archaic print processes?" I print pt/pd, but the cost of that certainly isn't for the faint of heart! Have you thought about mixing your own emulsion for silver printing? I've never done this myself, but I imagine the cost, overall, would be less than a 100-sheet box of Ilford.

The 'archaic print processes' were those applied to (usually) a support by 'hand held' utensils (before 'commercial' silver gelatin papers were available on the market). These print processes are still 'popular' as of today. Methinks you could/should give them a try.
before you 'judje' anyone... Everyone is 'allowed to use the natural ultra-violet wave lengths provided when 'direct sunshine' is 'available' Think "printing out' rather than 'developing out' using chemicals.

Some (but not all) of the 'early' print processes require a certain amount of 'silver' to 'get things going'

Surviving on my pension income, I find 'commercial B/W papers to be somewhat too expensive for every-day use. I no longer 'do' any 'commercial' work. The archaic print processes require the more of UV wave-lengths of the spectrum (rather than just those 'visible' to the hominid eye). If I were printing on a 'commercial' basis, my time, effort (and probably my costs) would be well outside what the majoriy of clients would be willing to 'pay'

All that 'being said'.. the archaic print processes take much more 'time' and 'effort' than "plastic based" B/W papers. Being well into my 'retirement' years I am more than willing to 'use' my time/knowledge/experience.. and having the facility, to so do.. I do

I am not 'knocking down' anyone's needs/desires... and/or financial ability to purchase and use commercial B/W papers .But having to 'survive' on my pension income (i.e. I am no longer a 'someone's employee), I have the time, the desire, the knowledge and facility to make prints from film negatives the way I feel the need to.. and 'feel comfortable' so doing. Think the common 'saying' "To each his own." But...your mileage (kilometer-age?) my vary.

Ken

Wow, I'm sorry if anything I said came across as a personal attack...which, by the way, your reply has a bit of that tone! I'm retired, too, and have been for many years. But, my photographic pursuits have always been a very important part of my life so I tend to allocate money that direction when I need stuff. Yes, I gave up my beloved 10x8 Tri-X years ago due to the cost of it and have found other emulsions and developer combos that work fine for my needs. I would never knock any process or anyone desiring to pursue wherever the winds blows 'em...as you said "To each his own."

Wow, I'm sorry if anything I said came across as a personal attack...which, by the way, your reply has a bit of that tone! I'm retired, too, and have been for many years. But, my photographic pursuits have always been a very important part of my life so I tend to allocate money that direction when I need stuff. Yes, I gave up my beloved 10x8 Tri-X years ago due to the cost of it and have found other emulsions and developer combos that work fine for my needs. I would never knock any process or anyone desiring to pursue wherever the winds blows 'em...as you said "To each his own."

Allan..
'Replying somewhat 'later' than I aught.. but have not been spending much time 'on-line' recently.. She Who Must Be Obeyed has been keeping me 'busy' rather than my being able to spend 'My time' 'for Me'. I had to 'update' my Silverfast software when Macintosh updated to the latest OS,... and kept running into a brick wall. A 'someone' at Silverfast had the opinion that I was using an 'illegal' copy since they had no 'record' of my having actually 'purchased' the software that actually came free (at no 'added cost' when I spent my hard earned pension income on my Epson 850 Pro scanner )

To get it 'up and going' again I had to submit the 'registered' number.. and they (or 'He' anyway) continued to deny I had a 'legal copy even after Ioffered to 'scan' the 'number' on original disc on which the software came ready to install on my Mac. They (or 'he anyway), fought hard... until I indicated I had made an appointment with my layer to 'take the Silverfast company to a local 'court' here in town.. (rather than in Germany) and after some 'time).. and few more somewhat 'aggressive e-mails, he eventually 'backed off. What made it more 'difficult' was the temporary closure of their US 'office'( in Florida,USA due to the Covid 'problem

Having somewhat of a 'thick skin', I rarely (if ever) take offense to what others may think, say, or put in 'print' on any forum. Having been brought up to 'accept' any criticism (good and/or bad)..having been brought up to have 'some respect' for any other person's 'personal' opinions. I only get 'angry' when it becomes face to face and 'they' are less than willing to accept my P.O.V.

I shall be hitting my 80th birthday VERY soon.. and still having that 'thick' skin I have learned to 'accept' both 'positive' and/or 'negative' feedback from anyone who may or may not be in 'full agreement' with my "point of view'. I have never claimed to know it all..

ie "I AM STILL LEARNING"

Ken

Ken,

I feel your pain as I went through something similar years ago with Phase One. Many, many years ago--I think it was around C1 v3--I bought a 5 free upgrade license through a Phase One dealer here in the US (he is long gone now.) In the early days, Phase One was not particularly responsive with upgrades and, occasionally, an upgrade was release "free of charge" because it had been so long between upgrades, or, maybe, there just wasn't enough new "meat" to charge for, or... No clue why, really. Anyway, over the years I used this license code when major upgrades came along, but toward the end (that is, the 5th free upgrade I was entitled to) things got dicey. The software wouldn't except my license as valid on that 5th upgrade. I contacted Phase One. I had ALL the documentation charting the path of my 5 free upgrades. To make a long story short, I finally wound up on a 30-45 min phone call with someone fairly high up in support to state my case. Of course, they were firmly entrenched that I didn't deserve that last free upgrade and what was I complaining about, anyway, in that what a bought all those years ago was a tremendous deal! Yep, I know it was...that's why I bought it!! But, I'm not one for not getting something I'm entitled to so I kept repeating my case. I think the guy just got tired of me badgering him and he capitulated and gave me a new license code. He reiterated several times that I needed to understand that this was my last free upgrade. Yep, no problem...I just wanted what I bought and was entitled to. I'm now rocking C1 v20.

Alan,
I was not aware that you were 'in residence' in this side of the Atlantic. i cannot 'see' the Atlantic Ocean thanks to the physical distance. nor can I see the 'other one' due to the mountain range I can see on the western horizon when standing on the roof of my house .. even on my 'tippy' toes. Might I inquire as to which 'state' (and I'm NOT making any referral to you 'physical/mental' abilities...or age (as in years).

Should you be within a 'reasonable' driving distance'... a 60 minute drive from here, to the Canuckian National Park has a number if 'vistas' that are worth 'recording to film' with any (or perhaps 'ALL') of your lenses.

Ken

I live in the Sonoran Desert area of the US southwest. Definitely not much water to be found 'round these parts! ;) But, quite a few tall mountains; the highest being 12K+ elevation. You might say I'm a bit further away from your area than a 60 min drive, but I'd certainly like to visit your area someday; when all this craziness is over, of course. I'm sure I'd have a great time with my cameras and would definitely have to bring the 8x10! I'd want that huge negative to record the huge grandeur of that area! :)

I live in the Sonoran Desert area of the US southwest. Definitely not much water to be found 'round these parts! ;) But, quite a few tall mountains; the highest being 12K+ elevation. You might say I'm a bit further away from your area than a 60 min drive, but I'd certainly like to visit your area someday; when all this craziness is over, of course. I'm sure I'd have a great time with my cameras and would definitely have to bring the 8x10! I'd want that huge negative to record the huge grandeur of that area! :)
r 'whatever 'tickles my fancy

Allan,
Being well and truly 'retired' (after those many years as a "Pro"), i now get to 'head out' almost whenever I feel the need to 'record to film whatever 'catches my fancy' (be it 'water'.. (or 'whatever' tickles my fancy) if I can 'set up' my 'recording devices' if there's room to so do 'safely'

I have a darkroom 'downstairs' in the lower regions of our residence..with a UV light source 'ready for 'use'should you decide to 'wander 'up this way. There's a clean bed and a bathroom through the wall.. then during your 'off duty' and 'not sleeping hours an ageing Weimarener who loves to be petted and scratched when he's not out for "walkies" or recovering thrown 'toys' on the back lawn. There's a Durst L1000 enlarger that don't see much use (due mainly to th increasing 'cost per print' using commercial B?W papers these day.

Shoul you be any-what 'interested in what I've been 'recording to film since I 'retired' I've been postong a lot more of my 'creative endeavours on the UK's large format "5x4.co.uk" website

Go "B/W" and in a 'number of the 'sections'

You must 'sign in' with your name, a 'password' and e-mail address just to 'view'.... (It is for 'security purposes only)
(there is a fair number of images that I might consider 'somewhat pedestrian' but 'that's OK by me.. but I submit as KenS.

"To each his own" as my father used to 'say' (those many years ago)

Ken

Thanks for the invite, Ken...very kind and generous of you. I will keep it in mind. Me being a "dog person" I've got no issues with hugs-n-kisses and general attention giving to your Weimarener! I have seen several of your B&W images posted here and I never consider any photo to be mundane. If it's interesting and...better...thought provoking, it's a winner in my book! I've recorded many (most?) "also rans" in my day (and I've been practicing LF photography for 40+ years), but, every once in awhile, I make a "mistake" and record something that soars beyond my expectations. No matter. I've had a fabulous time over all these years with my cameras, met some truly wonderful people, and had life experiences that I otherwise would not have had. It's all good!

Back