Velvet light seal

Nick Rowland

Popular Poster
Hi,

Does anyone know of a source selling the lightweight black velvet used as light seal on older cameras? I have tried haberdashery shops but can only find heavier duty velvet and need a thinner type. This is the stuff found on the dark-slide to body surface, I have tried felt but it picks up and starts to shed fibres.

Thanks
Nick

I need quite a bit, I know someone on APUG/Photrio did find some here in the UK a few years ago. I'll try find where it came from.

Ian

Great thanks Ian, I suspect it will be some sort of narrow velvet ribbon or similar.

Cheers
Nick

There's a US company who sell a very thin adhesive backed velvet tape but they won't ship anything to the UK (or any other country). It's 0.03" thick with 0.03" adhesive, that's probably too thick for what I need (if I could buy it).

Key words are: low pile cushion velvet damping.

I'm searching for who bought some as it was thin enough.

Ian

Hmm that's roughly 0.75mm for both. The material is about right but the glue is a tad heavy but might be ok for me as it will shrink a bit.

I'm after similar to what is used on a speed graphic, it's pretty thin though. If I find some I'll buy a reasonable qty as it might be last chance saloon.

If all else fails I have a pal in the USA who would get it and post to me over here. I can then send a wad up to you.

Nick

I've realised thin velvet is used to make jewellery cases, I rarely go into Birmingham these days but have bought from two manufacturers in the past, one was Pickering and Mayell, in Caroline Stree. So it is available here in the UK.

My mistake the US velvet is the same thickness 0.03"/0.762nn with or without adhesive, comes 48" wide and 3ft, 10ft, etc. McMaster Carr sell it.

My immediate requirement is actually velvet tape for plate holders.

Ian

Last edited:
Same reason as me Ian. Ok, I'll investigate Pickering and Mayell, if they don't do mail order my son lives in Tamworth and might be able to pop along. What width are you looking for, assuming they do narrow widths, otherwise it'll have to be a small roll.

Nick

I was thinking more that Pickering and Mayell be able to tell us where to get some.

Ian

I think Pickering and Mayell were taken over and became part of Talbots of Liverpool. Last time I looked the building was still selling jewellery boxes and cases.

That's probably similar, there's some on Ebay as well made in China, the problem is we don't know the thickness. It's an expensive sample if no good :D Needs some lateral thinking.

This is part of one holder

Had a broken top missing the grip so I attacked with a hacksaw :D

New top before staining and finishing, this one won't break off :) It's not mine but is for a camera I'm restoring for someone else. I need some velvet tape within a fortnight.

Ian

Only one way to find out, I've ordered a roll :) it's due Saturday. If it's no good I can use it for other things. I've also ordered some cheapo 10mm velvet tape from ebay to see if that might work. There is a chap on Facebook who makes bespoke lens caps for brass lenses, he lines them with velvet. I'll contact him and ask where he gets it from, he's in Germany though.

Nick

I bought an A5 sheet of sticky-backed black velvet stuff a while back on eBay. It wasn't expensive and was thin enough to repair surfaces on the dark-slide holder on my MPP Mk8. I also saw some thicker stuff in Hobbycraft which would probably work.

Great, thanks for that Robert. I'll also have a look in Hobby Craft. Is it fabric backed or just flocked paper?

I think it was a man made felt of some kind a bit like fleece material if you know what I mean? Worth a try I would have thought.

Thanks Robert, I'll have a look. I tried self-adhesive felt once before and it started to fall apart shedding fibres.

Bath's not too far, maybe a day out soon :D

Ian

Thanks David, I think theirs are too thick, it really needs to be low pile, a bit like moleskin. I've tried a lot of haberdashery velvet and it's too plush and thick.

Back