Trees

John Escoe

Popular Poster
I simply love trees. I won't miss any opportunity to take a "tree portrait" when an interesting character catches my eye...
Camera Wista N45

Fujinon 150mm; f22; 1/8sec.; Fomapan 100
020_4x5_old tree.jpg

Fujinon 210mm; f22; 2sec; Fomapan 400
027_4x5_BrickhillWoods_01.1.jpg

Fujinon 210mm; f22; 1sec.; Fomapan 400
030_4x5_BrickhillWoods_04.jpg

Fujinon 150mm; f22; 2sec.; Fomapan 400
031_4x5_BrickhillWoods_05.jpg

You really found some interesting trunks!
And I love trees, too!

Hi John. I too take lots of photographs of trees. I really like the third one. The first two look a bit contrasty with no shadow detail on my screen. What film developer are you using, by the way?

Alan

Yep, lover of trees here, too! Though, being here on a LF forum this one is kind of cheating...taken with an old Zeiss Super Ikonta III on Shanghai GP-3 during one of my many hikes in the desert.

Tree.jpg

Hi John. I too take lots of photographs of trees. I really like the third one. The first two look a bit contrasty with no shadow detail on my screen. What film developer are you using, by the way?

Alan
Thanks for appreciation, Alan. :) I'm using Rodinal on 1+50.

Alan
I love plants world in general but most the trees and I have myself lots of shots with trees (most of them on medium format). Their shapes and textures fascinates me.

John, look at the tonality in Alan's image it's possible to get similar from Fomapan 100 & 200, and probably Fomapan 400 with more effort.

1593540649982.png

This is a Tmax 100 or Agfa AP100 in Rodinal 3 to 100. With Foma films you need to use half the box speed as the starting point and cut the development time to compensate then they behave like other films.

1593541050054.png
This is 120 Fomapan 200 at 100 EI in Pyrocat HD, but in Rodinal 1 to 50 it'd be quite similar. Foma films are great but need some taming to get the best results.

Ian

I've never shot Foma 200 or 400, but I shoot quite a bit of Foma 100 in 5x4 and 10x8 and using an EI, as suggested by Ian, and with reduced development this film provides beautiful, smooth tonality.

John, look at the tonality in Alan's image it's possible to get similar from Fomapan 100 & 200, and probably Fomapan 400 with more effort.

View attachment 2021

This is a Tmax 100 or Agfa AP100 in Rodinal 3 to 100. With Foma films you need to use half the box speed as the starting point and cut the development time to compensate then they behave like other films.

View attachment 2022
This is 120 Fomapan 200 at 100 EI in Pyrocat HD, but in Rodinal 1 to 50 it'd be quite similar. Foma films are great but need some taming to get the best results.

Ian
Thanks for your time and support. I will give it a try as you suggested as soon as possible. Still have some Foma 100. should I shot at 50EI?

I've never shot Foma 200 or 400, but I shoot quite a bit of Foma 100 in 5x4 and 10x8 and using an EI, as suggested by Ian, and with reduced development this film provides beautiful, smooth tonality.

I find Fomapan 200 as good as the 100 film, I've just bought 40 rolls of it earlier this year and have some boxes of 5x4 and 7x5 as well although packaged as EDU for Freestyle.

The 200 is supposed to be a more modern emulsion than the 100, in practice I find the grain and sharpness very similar any other slight differences aren't noticeable in prints.

Ian

I once did a straight comparison between Foma 100 and FP4. This was in 120 format. Blue sky was slightly darker in Foma 100, as though I had used a yellow filter. I haven't noticed this yellow filter effect in Foma 200.

Alan

Foma's data-sheets show virtually identical spectral response for Fomapan 100 & 200 and Granularity is listed as 13.5 for the 100 and 14 for the 200 so nota difference we'd notice, resolving power is identical 110 lines per mm for both. They measure RMS Granularity with Microphen at 20ºC. Fomapan 200 - RMS = 14.0 (Microphen at 20ºC, developed to y= 0.6,(measured at D = 1.0).

1593595718710.png

I'm not sure why temperature is an issue, I process Fomapan and other films at 27ºC while in Turkey because that's the water and ambient temperature and there's no increase in grain, with one proviso all steps must be at the same temperature as variations can cause surface defects (Kodak's term also called micro or incipient reticulation) which increase graininess).

Ian

Ian,

You may have convinced me to give Foma 200 a try. Is Pyrocat-HD your favorite developer for this film?

Alan, I have used quite a lot of 5x4 Foma200, and had excellent results with ID11 at a dilution of 1+2. I expect Pyrocat HD would be just about as good (having used Pyrocat a lot in the past - but not with Foma200.)
I also found that Foma 200 worked very well in Rodinal. I no longer use Rodinal but a friend gave me some and was pleasantly surprised when I tried it. Not quite as sharp as ID11 1+2 but the mid-tones held up, which they don't usually with Rodinal. So I would say Rodinal suits Foma 200.

Alan

Thanks, Alan. Since you recommend ID11, I'll try D76 since I mix this myself. Next time I'm ordering film, I'll grab some Foma 200 and give it a go.

Ian,

You may have convinced me to give Foma 200 a try. Is Pyrocat-HD your favorite developer for this film?

Yes. I get great results with Pyrocat HD and Fomapan 200 & 100.

Ian

In addition to ID-11 & Rodinal, I often use Ilfotec-HC in 1:31 dilution for any of the Fomapan films.

Back